When Miami became a football powerhouse in the early 1980s, it did so by recruiting elite talent and playing the top teams in the country on their home field.

Coach Randy Shannon hasn’t strayed far from that philosophy during his time in Coral Gables, Fla.

In the past several seasons, Miami has gone against Bowl Championship Series powers Oklahoma and Florida. This year, they will play at Pittsburgh and Ohio State.

Why, in a tough Coastal Division, has Shannon decided to put his team through such a tough stretch of non-conference games?

“That’s what we do at Miami — we schedule great competition,” Shannon said at ACC Media Day.

In past years, facing such an audacious slate would be suicide. But Miami might finally have the depth and experience it has lacked to compete against the nation’s best.

In 2008, Miami brought in a top-five recruiting class that included current starters Jacory Harris, Travis Benjamin, Marcus Forston and Sean Spence.

After being thrown into the fire as underclassmen, these players are now ready to take the next step and challenge for an ACC title.

Miami appeared to be ready to take that step last year. The Hurricanes returned to national prominence early in the season after starting 5-1. But down the stretch, they dropped some key conference games, including two losses that Shannon called learning opportunities.

Against Virginia Tech and North Carolina, Miami showed exactly what was missing: experience. In these two games, Harris combined to throw five interceptions while also being sacked five times.

“Sometimes, you have to fail to succeed,” Shannon said. “Being in a game like those two, of learning what to do in certain situations, are really going to help him out this season.”

Now, Harris has a whole year under his belt, as well as a full stock of complementary players surrounding him. Up front is the most experienced offensive line Harris has played behind, with four upperclassmen weighing an average of 311 pounds.

The backfield is loaded with talented runners, including Damien Berry, Mike James, Graig Cooper and freshman Storm Johnson.

On defense, Miami has finally shored up its line by adding depth and moving preseason All-America candidate Allen Bailey back to the defensive end. The linebacking unit is one of the best in the ACC, and the secondary is led by preseason All-American Brandon Harris.