Student-athletes brainstormed with Honor System Outreach officials Wednesday night ways the two groups could work together to promote honor.

Ideas included posters in lockers, commercials during games and having honor system representatives talk with teams each semester.

The discussion was the UNC Student-Athlete Advisory Council’s first meeting of the year. The group consists of appointed representatives from each varsity sport who give the athletic department feedback.

“We want to spread awareness of the Honor Court and honor system throughout the campus,” Honor System Outreach Coordinator Ally Hoover said. “We’re not here targeting you as an athletic department.

“We want you guys to help advocate for us.”

The meeting was opened to reporters after committee chairwoman and women’s golf player Jordan Allyne raised the issue and let members vote, Cricket Lane, assistant athletic director for student-athlete development, said after the meeting.

The Honor System Outreach Office regularly speaks with student groups. The current investigation into academic misconduct involving members of the football team didn’t prompt Wednesday’s discussion but was brought up in the meeting.

“I’m really proud of them with how they’ve worked through distractions,” said athletic director Dick Baddour, who urged the student-athletes to show support for their peers on the football team.

Student-athletes talked in groups about how new ideas could complement existing athletic department tactics to promote academic integrity.

Teams regularly meet with senior associate athletic director for student-athlete services John Blanchard, who reviews guidelines and fields questions from the student-athletes.

Some student-athletes said their teams had met with Jonathan Sauls, assistant dean of students for judicial programs, for more information on the honor system and to learn what UNC’s rules are.

“We pretty much know what they are,” UNC basketball player Tyler Zeller said.

Lane raised the possibility of a student-athlete serving on the Honor Court or in the outreach office, something Blanchard said had been done in the past.

Contact the Sports Editor ?at sports@unc.edu.