UNC ranks high with recruiters

Recruiters chose top U.S. colleges

When recruiters were asked to rank their top universities based on quality of graduates by the Wall Street Journal, UNC tied for 25th.

While the University didn’t take the top spot, director of University Career Services Ray Angle said the ranking is still impressive because of the criteria of the study.

“I think the fact that we ended up on a special list as a general school shows that we can fit to different employers,” Angle said. “Our students have skills that they look at.”

The Journal survey asked recruiters to rate 100 colleges and universities based on the quality of their graduates. Recruiters were also able to write in colleges not on the list.

The survey found that many recruiters preferred public state universities over Ivy League and elite liberal-arts schools, listing Pennsylvania State University and Texas A&M University as the top two.

Among the universities that made the top 10 were Arizona State University, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Georgia Institute of Technology, University of Maryland and University of Florida.

It is important for students, no matter their major, to know what field they want to work in, Angle said.

He said most UNC students have clear career ambitions and are able to adjust to changes in their field easily — making them more competitive in future careers.

“We are differently marketable than technical schools,” Angle said. “We are good at fitting our graduates into careers that work for them.”

Many recruiters who visited the University for a career fair Thursday said UNC’s programs has a diverse appeal.

Microsoft Corporation was one of many companies represented at the event. The corporation sent three recruiters from its headquarters in Washington to talk to UNC students.

Sushant Rewaskar, one of the recruiters, said the company was attracted to UNC because of its strong computer science program. Several University alumni already work for the company.

Teach for America is another company that recruits UNC students, hiring more than 50 graduates last year.

“We are continually impressed in how many students get involved and take leadership opportunities,” said Jenny Peddycord, senior recruitment director for Teach for America.

The organization recruits students to teach for two years in public schools across the country.

“The students show a lot of initiative and that is what makes us want them to be a part of our organization,” Peddycord said.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.