UNC safety Da'Norris Searcy cleared to play

NCAA and UNC determine eligibility

North Carolina safety Da’Norris Searcy has been cleared to play after his eligibility was determined by both the NCAA and the University.

The senior has missed all three of UNC’s games thus far and will make his 2010 debut against East Carolina on Saturday at Kenan Stadium.

“We’ll try to figure out what kind of role Da’Norris can play on such short notice a day before the game this weekend,” UNC coach Butch Davis said.

The senior made his way into a starting safety position last season and averaged 14.6 yards in punt returns, which were ranked fifth in the nation and second in the ACC. He finished the season with 35 tackles and one interception, while breaking up three passes.

Although Searcy’s return to the game will be a considerable addition to the Tar Heels’ secondary, the team is still missing key contributors in cornerbacks Kendric Burney and Charles Brown and safety Deunta Williams.

North Carolina is awaiting Friday’s appeal decision for Burney and Williams, who were both handed NCAA-sanctioned suspensions last week.

Without the appeal, Williams will be allowed to play after a four game suspension on Oct. 9 when UNC plays Clemson. Burney is set to miss six games and will make his return to the field against Miami on Oct. 23.