BaseBald has visible impact

Chase Jones will continue “BaseBald for the Cure” to raise money and support for cancer patients.

His freshman year, Chase Jones was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. He received treatment at the children’s unit at UNC’s Lineberger Comprehensive Care Center alongside young children and even babies.

Three years after recovering from the brain tumor, Jones is running for Mr. UNC in hopes of reaching out to more people and expanding his charity project, UNC BaseBald for the Cure.

He is trying to raise awareness for children’s cancer and money for the children he once sat beside, he said.
“I just want to get the word out,” Jones said.

The first UNC BaseBald for the Cure was on April 11, 2010. It was organized by Jones and his teammates on the varsity baseball team, and was inspired by a similar event held in 2007 to support a coach’s son who had leukemia, Jones said. The event raised more than $6,000 for the pediatric oncology unit at UNC hospitals.

The proceeds will cover expenses ranging from gas money parents use to visit children at the hospital, to juice boxes for the young patients, Jones said.

Donors sponsored all of the players to shave their heads.

“It was an unbelievable event. I was so excited about it because I got to see what an impact we could make as students. We don’t often get to see that impact in a financial way,” Jones said.

Seth Baldwin, who is Jones’ campaign manager as well as his teammate and roommate, shaved his head as part of the fundraiser.

“It’s a big thing to shave your head. I felt awkward for a while,” he said.
Baldwin said he and Jones would like to get other athletic teams to participate in the event. Jones said this could give the fundraiser a more lasting presence on campus, and help it continue after he graduates.

“The funds that I’m hoping to raise would make it too big not to continue,” Jones said.

Jones received the Eve Carson Scholarship this spring. He said he feels his goal to raise awareness and money for his cause represents the ideals of the scholarship.

“A part of the scholarship is to bring back Eve to this campus and the university,” Jones said. “The best way to represent her would be to have a call to action and a service project that involves as many people as possible.”

Baldwin said that in addition to having an established service project, Jones would be a good representative of the student body. He said that Jones is committed to both the baseball team and his studies in the Business School.

“He’s everything and more I’d want in any role: managerial, on or off the field,” said Mike Johnson, head coach for UNC baseball.

“He’s athletic, charismatic, well-spoken; he’s a very funny guy,” Baldwin said. “He’s smart, he’s in B-school and he does great there. He comes out here every day and plays sports. He’s the most well-rounded kid I know.”
Ryan Graepel, a senior who is a former teammate of Jones’, said