UNC senior starts his own beer-delivery service

Senior business major Evan Hall recently started a business. His business, Brew To You, is a beer-delivery service that allows customers to call in orders and he guarantees delivery within an hour. Hall was inspired to start Brew To You over concerns of drunken driving.

The next time you reach out to grab your keys for a late-night beer run, pick up the phone instead.

Brew To You, a beer-delivery service established by UNC senior Evan Hall, now allows customers to call in for a six-pack.

Hall, a business and economics double major, launched Brew To You earlier this month, providing delivery for customers within a three-mile radius of campus.

“This summer me and a group of friends were hanging out, and it’s not unusual that we ran out of beer too soon,” Hall said. “Someone said ‘Hey, I would pay a lot of money if someone would deliver us beer so we didn’t have to drive.’”

At first, Hall said he assumed the idea was illegal. But after talking to lawyers and doing research, he discovered that starting his own delivery service was a possibility.

Hall said concerns about drinking and driving inspired him to start the business.

“I thought it was an opportunity to give back to Chapel Hill,” he said. “I feel like I’m going to protect the community by keeping people off the street — that’s my main motivation.”

But Hall said starting the business and obtaining the proper licensure was a complex process.

“The first license I had to get was a privilege permit, which basically says I’ve earned the privilege to pay taxes to the state,” he said. “Then, I had to apply for my ABC permit — that was tons of paperwork.”

Tony DuBois, general manager of the ABC stores in Orange County, said licensing is required for accountability reasons.

“It’s only legal as long as they have the proper permits,” DuBois said. “This ensures that they can be checked up on by the Alcohol Law Enforcement.”

Chapel Hill Police Department spokesman Kevin Gunter said he hopes Hall will obey laws regarding alcohol sales.

“I hope he takes every precaution to make sure the people he is selling to are of legal age,” Gunter said. “And that he abides by the rules and regulations that pertain to any clerk that would sell over the counter.”

Hall said customers can use his website, brew2younc.com, to print menus and place orders by phone. He accepts payment by credit card only in order to verify that a customer is of legal age.

“I would be just like a pizza delivery service: my goal is to be there within an hour,” he said.

Hall said his most popular sellers are Miller, Coors and Budweiser products.

Raeshon McNeil, Hall’s friend and designer of Brew To You’s logo and web site, said he thinks the business will benefit Chapel Hill.

“We live in a society that’s based off of convenience and this isn’t really being done to a large extent in the alcohol industry,” McNeil said. “And this type of service has the potential to have a positive impact as far as drinking and driving goes.”

Hall said he made six deliveries the first weekend of service, but hopes to increase that number in the near future.

“If the idea is successful, I hope to expand to other UNC and North Carolina campuses,” Hall said. “As far as I know there’s nothing like this in the area or in the south.”

Contact the City Editor

at citydesk@unc.edu.