Kendric Burney must retake course

UNC, NCAA worked together on decision

UNC chancellor Holden Thorp said it’s “no problem” that UNC football player Kendric Burney is taking one course this semester.

Burney, a fifth-year senior, was cleared to play for the first time this season Tuesday after being granted a waiver from the NCAA regarding his academics.

“The rule that would have kept him from competing with his current course load was an NCAA rule,” Thorp said. “So if the NCAA gave him a waiver, that’s fine.”

According to a report in The (Raleigh) News & Observer, the Honor Court changed Burney’s grade in a core class from last semester from a C to a C-, causing him to not earn credit for the course. He must retake the course in the spring in order to graduate.

According to NCAA bylaw 14.10.1, Thorp is “responsible for approving the procedures for certifying the eligibility of an institution’s student-athletes under NCAA legislation.” He could designate that assignment to a staff member, but the certification “must occur prior to allowing a student-athlete to represent the institution in intercollegiate competition.”

Athletic director Dick Baddour said UNC and the NCAA have worked together during the investigation into the academic portion of the review.

“In a couple of conversations, we laid out for them our process,” Baddour said. “They acknowledged and said, ‘You’re on the right track, continue doing what you’re doing and at some point, we may send somebody to join.’ And that is in fact what they did later.

“We were always in communication with them and they knew what we were doing, and they were endorsing what we were doing.”

Burney received a six-game suspension from the NCAA on Sept. 22 for violating NCAA rules of agent benefits and preferential treatment. The senior cornerback was slated to return to the team last week against Miami, but he was withheld while his eligibility continued to be determined.

Burney is a friend of former UNC defensive back Chris Hawkins, who was named as a prospective agent in three reinstatement letters from Baddour to the NCAA.

On Oct. 4, Baddour sent Hawkins a letter of disassociation, notifying the former player that the University will not accept any recruiting aid or financial contributions from him, permit current student-athletes to have contact with him or provide him with any athletic privileges or benefits.

Baddour said disassociation letters are rare, and at the time of the Hawkins’ letter, he had not done any others for UNC. He did say others have been done, but declined comment and deferred to a request for public records.

In a message via Twitter, Hawkins told The Daily Tar Heel that, to his knowledge, he did nothing wrong and would “take legal action in the matter,” but did not specify against whom he would take the action.

“I don’t have any idea what kind of legal action he could be talking about,” Baddour said. “I couldn’t be more comfortable with that letter than I am. I think it’s absolutely the right thing to do, and if Chris Hawkins wants to do something else about it, he’ll have to create that opportunity.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.