Carrboro trees attacked by beetles

40 to 65 trees may be cut down

The Southern Pine Beetle.

Courtesy of the US Forest Service

The Southern Pine Beetle.

Courtesy of the US Forest Service

Carrboro residents may have to bid farewell to three acres of pines in Anderson Park after officials found parasitic beetles in them.

The town’s public works department discovered two weeks ago that Southern pine beetles had infested the trees and immediately informed Orange County Ranger Jake Pressley.

Pressley said the next step could be to cut down between 40 and 65 infested trees.

“My recommendation is to first and foremost put public safety first, do some signage, have a tailgate briefing, establish communication, escape routes and safety zones,” he said. “We don’t want to create a hazardous situation removing a hazardous situation.”

Fred Hain, forest entomology professor at N.C. State University, said pine beetles most commonly attack pine trees in the space between the true wood and the outer bark. This space contains an inner bark tissue that is typically dense in nutrients.

After the female beetle bores in and carves holes into the tree, she will lay eggs in niches within the wood. Over time, the eggs hatch and the larvae feed on the tree, draining it of its ability to transport remaining nutrients, Hain said.

The beetles, approximately the size of a grain of rice, have developed a sophisticated network of communication that allows the insects to emit pheromones that attract other insects to the tree.

When a tree is fully infested, the pests will move on to a new host and over time create a “mass attack phenomena.”

“It’s like a slow moving wildfire,” Hain said. “A neighbor gets attacked, and then another, and the process continues. Usually if you look at a spot that’s been around awhile, you can go into it and you can see where it started and where it went next and where it moved to and even its most recent attack.”

Division of Forest Services Spokesman Brian Haines said he has faith in the city’s ability to combat the infestations.

“My understanding is that the town of Carrboro is responding to this quickly in order to address the problem,” he said.

Much of the solution will depend on proactive residents, Haines said. He encouraged people with forested land to consider thinning their trees by removing the smaller, weaker trees that deprive the soil of nutrients. If the remaining trees are healthy, bugs have a harder time moving in.

While the bugs themselves pose no threat to humans, decaying trees are at risk of falling; therefore, infestation should be taken care of promptly, Haines said.

Pressley said community members should contact the N.C. Division of Forest Resources to schedule a timber exam if they see sap oozing from a tree or signs of discoloration.