Charlottesville win still eludes Tar Heels

UNC has lost 14 straight at UVa.

There may be no better proof of the worn-out sports cliché “they don’t play the games on paper” than the last 29 years of the South’s Oldest Rivalry between North Carolina and Virginia.

Except for games against the two schools at Scott Stadium, the two programs would seem to be evenly matched, as UNC went 174-144-3 since 1981, and Virginia went 181-142-3.

Therefore, “paper” would suggest that the two teams would split their 14 meetings, or perhaps Virginia would win a game or two extra due to home-field advantage. But on the field, the Cavaliers have rolled off 14 straight against the Tar Heels at home.

The streak is now long enough that even the Tar Heel players — usually the first to discount the importance of streaks on future play — are talking about it.

“Actually, we have been talking about it,” wide receiver Jheranie Boyd said.

“I know some of the guys have said they haven’t beaten them here (in Chapel Hill) in a long time too, so we’re coming in with a different attitude, trying to get that first win.”

Scott Stadium has seen its share of improbable Virginia wins during this stretch. In 2002, the Cavs rallied from an early 21-point deficit to win 37-27 for what was then the second-biggest comeback in program history. In the 2008 contest, the Wahoos won in overtime after coming back from a 10-3 deficit with two minutes left in regulation.

Even those games pale in comparison to the 1996 matchup. The Tar Heels entered the game with an 8-1 record and held a 17-3 lead with the ball on the Virginia 9-yard line in the fourth quarter. An interception for a touchdown, another score and a game-winning field goal later, Virginia emerged with a 20-17 win.

But the Tar Heels don’t believe that they are cursed and doomed to fail before they even step foot in Virginia.

“I don’t believe in curses,” safety Da’Norris Searcy said. “As long as we do our job, we should win.”

The players would instead point to certain plays they could not capitalize on that swung the tide of the games to the Wahoos.

“I wouldn’t really say it’s the team that’s challenging,” defensive end Donte Paige-Moss said. “I would say it’s more of us. We have the teams with the talent to beat them; we just barely didn’t execute on certain plays.

“If you go in there with the mindset that we’re not going to let them beat us and we’re not going to beat ourselves, then I think we’ll play to the best of our ability.”

The current Tar Heels don’t have a lot of experience topping Virginia — in the last four seasons, UNC has lost every game its played against the Wahoos, including games in Kenan Stadium.

“It’s been a long time since we won down there,” senior tailback Johnny White said. “It’s in the back of everybody’s mind, just knowing that’s a hard place to play at.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.