Envision standing in Arlington National Cemetery and looking out over the rows and rows of gravestones, so many individuals who have served their country. Would that image change if you knew for a fact that a portion of those graves belonged to gay or lesbian individuals? If so, how far have we stooped as a society by allowing our gratitude to be marred by simple labels?

An argument for “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” is that openly homosexual service members are a threat to military unit cohesion and morale. If this is the argument, then would not the integration of different races, religions or economic backgrounds also serve as a threat?

In the Military Times Poll, 10 percent of active service members said they would not continue to serve in the military if the policy was repealed, but as David Segal, a military sociologist at the University of Maryland, pointed out, that is a smaller percentage than the servicemen in the 1970s who threatened to leave if women were allowed in service, and yet women are serving and our numbers did not dwindle. These individuals are not asking for special treatment, they are asking to serve in the military forces, an organization devoted to the protection of our country, and they should be allowed to serve as they are.

Cindy Portillo
Graduate Student
School of Social Work