Shaun Draughn, Johnny White carry the load against East Carolina University

Shaun Draughn tallied three touchdowns against ECU. Draughn rushed for 98 yards in the fourth quarter alone and teamed with Johnny White for 223 yards in the second half.

Shaun Draughn flopped innocently to the ground after officials whistled North Carolina freshman tackle James Hurst for a false start in the fourth quarter.

While the referees signaled the penalty, Draughn sat on the field and beat his fists on the ground like a 5-year-old in the middle of a tantrum.

The Tar Heels were four yards out of the end zone. Draughn had already run for 37 yards on the drive, and he wanted to add the finishing touch.

A subsequent offside penalty on East Carolina put UNC back on the four-yard-line, and Draughn carried the ball — and about four ECU defenders — into the end zone for one of his three touchdowns on Saturday.

Against ECU, North Carolina entered with a top-25 passing offense, but the Tar Heels won the game on the legs of Draughn and fellow running back Johnny White.

“It’s awesome, you know, just being able to hand the ball off and watch those guys run down field,” quarterback T.J. Yates said. “The offensive line did a great job up front getting a push. It’s a good feeling, and it’s going to help out our offense a whole lot.”

Both of North Carolina’s running backs rushed for more than 100 yards against ECU, the first time two UNC running backs have done that since a 2004 bout with William & Mary.

“You’ve seen what it’s done,” Draughn said of the tandem. “It keeps us fresh, and I love that. I mean, it keeps them on their toes. They don’t know which running back is coming in, and coach (Ken) Browning does a good job of rotating us.”

After a dismal start where Draughn and White combined to carry the ball for 54 yards in the first half, the duo amassed 223 yards in the second half.

White left the in the third quarter with a tweaked ankle, 139 yards on 14 carries and a 21-17 lead.

“I don’t know how you could ask anybody to run harder, with more determination,” UNC coach Butch Davis said of White.

After White limped off the field, the rest of the game, with the exception of two more White rushes, was placed on the shoulders of Draughn. And the running back made good on the opportunity.

Draughn registered 16 of his 27 carries and 98 yards in the fourth quarter.

“It was very satisfying,” Draughn said. “That’s probably the second-most (carries) I’ve had in my career, so for them to really put the whole team on my shoulders at the end of the game, I mean, it felt good.”

Draughn returned in time for UNC’s second game after being cleared from an investigation by the University into academic infringements by players. Though White has carried the main load this season, he was happy to see the former starter get his legs underneath him.

“I told him to go out there and get me another (touchdown), like run for it and make it for me, and he did,” White said. “He said the third one is for me, so I don’t mind.”

North Carolina entered the game averaging 86 rushing yards a game — only 11 of 120 Football Bowl Subdivision schools averaged worse. North Carolina’s 263 net rushing yards on Saturday were uncharacteristic, but certainly not unwelcome.

“If we can run the ball like that, we’re a dangerous team with our play action,” Yates said.

“Those guys up front did a great job and Johnny and Shaun did a great job running the ball.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.