Duke students tired of media attention to graphic PowerPoint slides

Students at Duke University say they are tired of the negative publicity their school has received after a PowerPoint created by an alumna describing her sexual escapades garnered national attention.

Karen Owen, a 2010 graduate of Duke, created a 42-slide PowerPoint presentation about her sexual exploits with 13 Duke lovers — many of them college athletes.

Owen titled the PowerPoint “An education beyond the classroom: excelling in the realm of horizontal academics.”

The media coverage of the alumna’s PowerPoint sex diary has upset many students who say one student’s actions should not dictate the overall image of the student body.

Mike Lefevre, student body president at Duke, said this incident is another way for the media to target the university.

“A lot of students are rolling their eyes,” Lefevre said. “This is not who we are and it’s probably not who she is.”

The PowerPoint slides were sent to three close friends, but later ended up on fraternity listservs before being posted to the Internet, Lefevre said.

The PowerPoint listed sexual encounters, including pros and cons of the men’s sexual prowess and how they rated in comparison to others’ sexual creativity and performance.

Owen detailed her encounters involving the men with whom she had intercourse, calling them her “subjects” and her sexual escapades her “research.”

Students at Duke claim that if Owen would have been a male posting information about women’s sexual performance, the media coverage would have been less.

“People are trying to take it and make some big statement on women’s culture or on gender dynamics and it’s really not about that,” Lefevre said. “It’s just what one foolish person did.”

Lefevre said he didn’t think Owen was trying to make a statement with her PowerPoint slides.

There has been talk that legal actions will be taken, Lefevre said.

“I’ve heard if it becomes a lawsuit, it might be against the news outlets that published the PowerPoint than against Karen herself,” he said.

“I’m frankly very disappointed that the The New York Times and other news outlets find this so newsworthy.”

University administrators said they did not want to comment on their handling of the incident.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.