Chapel Hill's Festifall draws a record number of vendors

Two members of The Holy Ghost Tent Revival play at Festifall.

Thirteen-year-old Chapel Hill native Zoe Smith has been selling her homemade jewelry for four years.

This year, she and her parents took her business — Zoe’s Ark — to the streets at the town’s 38th annual Festifall, where a record number of vendors turned out.

“I’ve raised over $18,000 since I started selling jewelry,” said Smith, who sells the jewelry she and her mom make to raise money for Heifer International charity.

The organization gives animals to needy families in other countries to provide food and a source of business.

The number of vendors at Festifall increased 57 percent from 2009, with 118 vendors along West Franklin Street.

Wes Tilghman, festivals and special events supervisor, said he expected more than 15,000 people would attend the event to enjoy the weather and the town’s cultural arts.

Tilghman said he expected turnout for the event, which has been in the works since early spring, to be higher than usual because of increased efforts to get the word out.

“We’ve done a much better job with our publicity,” he said.

People from all over the state applied to sell their goods at Festifall and were selected by a jury of art professionals.

Robert Lohr of Lexington, N.C., sold handmade birdhouses made from recycled materials.

“We don’t have this in my little town,” he said. “Chapel Hill is a town full of characters.”

UNC Dance Marathon had a Festifall booth for the first time, after previous years of simply collecting donations through individual volunteers.

“Our purpose is to unite the University, community and state to raise funds for children and families of N.C. Children’s Hospital, and Festifall is a great opportunity to do this,” said Dance Marathon’s spokeswoman Becca Brenner.

Another Festifall first was the “Taste of Chapel Hill” food court, which offered taste-sized portions of signature items for purchase from Chapel Hill restaurants.

Restaurants offering food included 411 West, Carolina Brewery, Vimala’s Curryblossom Café, Sugarland and Kildare’s Irish Pub.

In addition to food, local bands gave live performances and art activities were available for children.

Orange County band Katharine Whalen and the Fascinators was one of seven groups who were invited to perform.

Lead singer Katharine Whalen, formerly of the Squirrel Nut Zippers, said she has lived in Orange County since she was 15 years old and is familiar with the event.

“It was wonderful,” Whalen said. “Great time, great weather.”

Jason Abide promoted his children’s art classes by making a large coil pot, made of rolled-out clay coils piled on top of each other.

Seven-year-old Elena Shapiro made one of the coils.

“I’m an artist, so I do lots of stuff like this,” Elena said. “I’m really enjoying Festifall.”