Freshmen pitchers lead North Carolina softball team to victories

Pitching a perfect game is not a feat that is easily attained. But in their first collegiate appearances, North Carolina freshmen Lori Spingola and Sara Buchholz combined to prevent a runner from advancing to first base.

In UNC’s preseason doubleheader against UNC-Greensboro Friday night, Spingola’s poise and confidence was evident as she decisively struck out two of the first three Spartan hitters.

Even as a freshman, Spingola is not a stranger to success or high-pressure situations. She led her high school to two 4A Georgia state championships and her travel team to the 2010 Amateur Softball Association National Championship.

“I really wasn’t even that nervous tonight because (the team is) so awesome,” Spingola said.

“When I first went out there I was trying to strike everyone out, and after the first two it calmed me down.”

When Spingola was replaced by Buchholz in the sixth inning, Buchholz continued the relentless pitching.

The freshman showed no signs of inexperience, finishing the game without allowing a hitter to get on base and striking out her second Spartan batter, senior April Langley.

As a three-time Miami Herald pitcher of the year and the Puerto Rican softball Athlete of the Year among other titles, Buchholz has an impressive résumé.

UNC head coach Donna Papa was very impressed with her young pitchers.

“They had really good composure,” Papa said. “Lori Spingola started it off with a great performance on the mound and Sara combined for a no-hit shutout.

“To go out as freshmen in your first games, I think they did a great job in their composure and they’re both quality pitchers.”

Other freshmen — outfielder Amy Nece, pitcher Ashley Bone and infielder Jordan Scarboro — also turned in impressive performances in the doubleheader. Scarboro made it to first base in both games, first on a grounder that rolled to the outfield after being missed by the Spartan shortstop and then on a strong hit to third.

Bone entered the second game for junior Constance Orr in the fourth inning and didn’t allow any runs to be batted home. Bone promises to be an asset for the team like she was in Nash Central High School as the District III 3A pitcher and Player of the Year.

Another 18U national champion, Nece had a stellar performance in both games. She connected with the ball multiple times and made it to first base after a well-placed bunt in the bottom of the sixth inning in the second game. Nece eventually scored the first run for the Tar Heels on a hard hit to left field by Brittany McKinney.

The newcomers proved that being a freshman does not equate with lacking skill and confidence.

“Our freshmen, especially from the pitching standpoint, are going to be our heart and soul,” Papa said.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.