Hip-hop artist K.Flay to open 2010 UNC Homecoming Concert

Hip-hop, indie influence artist

Kristine Flaherty,   known by her stage name, K.Flay, will be coming to UNC with Passion Pit.

Kristine Flaherty, known by her stage name, K.Flay, will be coming to UNC with Passion Pit.

Musician Kristine Flaherty has never been a part of an organized concert tour.

But Flaherty — known by her stage name, K.Flay — is set to open the 2010 UNC Homecoming Concert in October.

With fellow opener Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears and headliner Passion Pit, Flaherty, 25, has been touring East Coast universities to promote environmental awareness as part of the Campus Consciousness tour.

“Though I am not particularly familiar with her work, I think she’ll bring an interesting element to the show,” said Kinsey Sullivan, music chairwoman for the Carolina Union Activities Board.

Seth Cummings, Flaherty’s manager, said that the artist brings a new view to the hip-hop world as a white woman.

“There is a bit of a stigma there, and since she stands out, people may be expecting her to fail,” Cummings said. “But she is so incredibly smart and talented, and with her creativity and work ethic, nobody could be doing it the way she is.”

Flaherty began making music while an undergraduate student at Stanford University, she said.

“I started writing a couple things and got interested in the production aspect of music,” Flaherty said.

She bought some cheap equipment — which she said she still uses — and began to play live shows.

But music didn’t take the forefront until after graduation.

“I was super focused on academics in college, so I really started focusing on music when I graduated,” Flaherty said.

Her first extended play, the self-titled “K.Flay,” was released independently last week.

“I think it is nice to run on your own before getting involved like that,” she said.

Flaherty said she draws her musical influences from many different backgrounds.

“I am really drawn to eclectic and authentic voices, no matter what genre they are,” she said. “Unique approaches that are still genuine really radiate with me.”

Flaherty credits musicians like A Tribe Called Quest, Nas and Outkast for being strong hip-hop influences. Female artists such as Lauryn Hill, Liz Phair and the female-fronted group Metric are also inspirations, she said.

“It’s a really cool world she lives in — a world between hip-hop and indie rock,” Cummings said.

Music isn’t Flaherty’s only source of creativity.

“I draw my inspirations from those around me and my relationships as well as (from) living in San Francisco, where there is a lot of crazy-ass culture,” Flaherty said.

After ending the Campus Consciousness tour in Greensboro, Flaherty is set to tour the West Coast with electronic pop groups 3OH!3 and hellogoodbye.

Just as concert headliners Passion Pit have drawn wide appeal across campus, Cummings said Flaherty can appeal to a broad cross section.

“She’s that cool kid to the hipsters, the credible emcee to the hip-hop community and an edgy role model for young adults,” he said.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.