Law school to recruit foreign lawyers

One-year master’s in US law offered

Starting in 2011, UNC will be able to attract international lawyers who want to study U.S. law.

UNC-system Board of Governors approved a proposal last week for the UNC School of Law to move forward with plans that would allow international lawyers to obtain a master’s degree in U.S. law in one year.

The approval from the board follows many other universities nationwide, which already have similar programs.

The program will be covered by the initial tuition of enrolled students, which is projected to be $38,500.

James Deal, a member of the board who helped oversee the draft proposal for the board, said the program cost would not burden taxpayers or UNC students who are not in the program.

“The program will be totally funded by tuition and fees,” Deal said. “The price is significant but comparable to other schools who have the program.”

According to the program proposal, more than 130 law schools in the country already offer similar types of degrees, including Wake Forest University and Duke University.

Jennifer Maher, associate dean of international studies at Duke, has worked with Duke’s program since the late ‘80s, when it had about 20 students.

“We have a real world population represented here,” Maher said.

Maher said UNC’s program proposal to only have a slight increase in staff is unrealistic.

“To get students that are sufficiently qualified, you need to work harder to recruit them,” she said.

In order for UNC’s program to move forward with plans, it must be approved by the American Bar Association in January.

If the program is cleared to begin next fall, it will start small with a target of five to seven international lawyers, said Robert Mosteller, associate dean for academic affairs at UNC.

Mosteller said he expects to see students interested in the program because of its strengths in business, banking, civil rights and intellectual property law.

Deal said the program will not only provide students with a chance to engage with what the UNC law school has to offer, but it will also help students foster international connections.

“A lawyer here in Chapel Hill could be presented with legal matters in Brazil and have a contact he met while at law school here who he could call up for help,” Deal said.

“The program fits well with what UNC is looking like for the future.”

He also said the program will be beneficial for more than just the students.

“It will help members of the community gain knowledge and experience on a global level.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.