Roy Williams not a proponent of sports agents

The most memorable moment in Roy Williams’ life was not when he hoisted the 2005 National Championship trophy in St. Louis. Nor was it when he held the 2009 National Championship trophy in Detroit.

Rather, he stated it occurred one morning when he was quoted in the New York Times and Los Angeles Times about agents.

“I’ve never enjoyed agents. Period,” Williams said at UNC basketball media day Thursday.

Agents found their way into Williams’ preseason address to the media in light of the NCAA investigation into improper benefits between agents and players in the football program.

Williams said that his basketball program is in “great shape” and no one from either the University or the NCAA has requested a meeting with him or any of the players.

In his 22 seasons as a head coach, Williams said he has always made strides to ensure his players are protected from agents.

“I can’t imagine anybody in the country who worries about it and tries to keep their eyes and ears open on it more than I,” Williams said. “I personally check every ticket list; I’m the guy who stuffs every envelope for every road game. I want to know who is hanging out in the locker room.”

Williams said he doesn’t have an agent like most coaches, and he used the dean of Kansas University’s law school for his contracts with KU and UNC.

When asked what is so distasteful about agents, Williams said there was not enough time to fully articulate all his dislikes.

“There’s really nothing they can do for you,” Williams said. “I mean you can either play or you can’t.”

“They want your money. … I’ve had a guy tell me, ‘Well we’re not going to charge four percent, we’re only going to charge two percent. I said, ‘I wouldn’t do it for a hot fudge sundae with nuts.’”

UNC football coach Butch Davis has implemented policies to better monitor his players. He requires players to sign out when they leave campus for holidays or vacations.

“Another thing which is critically important is anybody who is a financial advisor or agent, or anybody who might represent his personal interest must contact our administration and set up an appointment,” Davis said in a press conference on Monday.

Williams said coaches have no way of monitoring everything players do and added that people should know right from wrong.

The coach referenced a time when a player approached him with the idea that he would go to law school to become an agent.

The thought did not sit well with Williams, and he said he would never speak to the player again if he chose that career path.

“I don’t like the guys,” he said. “Even the guys that are good, I don’t like them.”

“They know that. I tell them right up front. It is scary — beware of strangers bearing gifts.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.