UNC men's tennis team, led by Jose Hernandez, has strong start to first season without Clay Donato

The North Carolina men’s tennis team is just weeks into its first season in four years without former top player Clay Donato, who graduated in May. But thus far, the Tar Heels have started off strong.

Sophomore Jose Hernandez is leading the way, reaching the round of 16 at the main singles draw of the D’Novo/ITA All-American Tennis Championships this week before falling to No. 13 Sanam Singh of Virginia on Friday.

Hernandez is North Carolina’s highest-ranked player this year. His No. 30 national ranking was enough to earn him an automatic slot in the tournament’s main draw. And he said he has improved substantially since last season.

“I have a lot more options in my game,” Hernandez said. “I’m better with my serve, with my volleys, with my ground strokes, and I’m stronger and faster.”

But he added he has a lot more work to do, especially in serving and transitioning from the baseline to the net.

Hernandez won his first two matches easily, defeating Peter Lucassen of defending national champion Southern California and Marcelo Arevalo of tournament host Tulsa without dropping a set. But he could not get past Singh in the third round despite winning the first set and the first four games of the second set.

“I was up 6-3, 4-0, so obviously, I was really disappointed to lose that match,” Hernandez said. “I played better than him. You could see I was the better player, but I lost focus, and it just got out of hand.”

It was Hernandez’s second time facing Singh. In the Tar Heels’ loss to Virginia last season, Hernandez, then ranked No. 78 as a freshman, upset then-No. 9 Singh in three sets.

Singh took the rematch also in three sets, winning 3-6, 6-4, 6-3.

UNC coach Sam Paul said he was impressed by Hernandez’s play throughout the tournament.

“He’s hitting it a little bit bigger; he’s hitting it a little bit harder,” Paul said. “He beat a very good player from the national championship team, then he beat another very good player on his home turf. And he played a very competitive match in the round of 16.”

UNC junior Brennan Boyajian joined Hernandez in the main draw but fell in the opening round to Florida’s No. 9 Alexandre Lacroix.

Boyajian had to fight just to get into the main draw. Currently ranked No. 66, he started in qualifying singles and won three times in a preliminary bracket to earn a spot as a qualifier before losing to Lacroix on Thursday, 6-3, 6-4.

“Brennan was playing a lot smarter,” Paul said. “He played some of his best tennis in the tournament.”

But his qualifying wins did not come easily. He dropped the first set in all three victories but came back to win each of them in three sets.

Six other UNC players participated in the tournament’s preliminary rounds. Junior transfer Joey Burkhardt fell in qualifying singles, and five others lost in pre-qualifying.

North Carolina senior Stefan Hardy, ranked No. 64 in the country, was forced to sit out the tournament due to injury. Paul said he was “banged up” but still participating in practice.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.