Ackland gala to attract younger crowd

First ever with no black tie rule

Andy Warhol’s Silver Factory was the epitome of New York City’s party scene in the 1970s.

The Ackland Art Museum will bring this iconic era to Chapel Hill this Saturday at the Silver Factory Gala. Chapel Hill native band The Love Language will headline the event’s after party.

The Silver Factory Gala, a uniquely student-focused fund-raiser for the museum, will celebrate the current “Snapshots” exhibit while raising money in a more casual setting.

The gala and after party will attempt to a attract a younger crowd without the black-tie requirement — a first for the museum.

Emily Bowles, the Ackland’s director of communications, said the museum wanted a band who would perform a great live show.

“We wanted a real mix of Warhol-related music, things that Warhol might’ve heard,” said Allison Portnow, museum events and programs coordinator

The Love Language’s music — ­a modern mix of pop and rock — fits perfectly with the mold the Ackland wanted to fill, Bowles said.

“They’re a well-known indie-rock band who we knew would appeal to our target audience for the after party, which is mostly young people,” Bowles said.

Portnow said the Ackland staff did not consider any other bands after The Love Language agreed to join the ticket.

“The Love Language was recommended to us and we knew it was a good fit,” Bowles said.

The band will perform a mix of original and cover songs in hopes of embracing the essence of Warhol, and the life he lived, they said.

“We’re going to choose from our more experimental songs,” said The Love Language’s lead singer Stuart McLamb. “Plus a few covers — but those are a surprise.”

The Love Language’s upbeat sound will add a unique and modern twist to the Warhol celebration, providing what the staff hopes will be music fit for a party.

“I’m a huge fan (of Warhol.) I love pop music, and I love pop art,” McLamb said.

The Love Language had been on tour for almost two months before returning to the Triangle. They recently played several shows in Raleigh and Durham, and McLamb said they are happy to be back in their hometown.

The Shakedown will also be performing during the gala. And starting at midnight, Deejay Pez will be blasting a Warhol-themed playlist during the late-night dance party.

“It’ll be noisy,” McLamb said. “It’ll be a lot of fun.”

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.