Carborro fire traced to ex-boyfriend

A home at 109 Weatherhill Point in Carrboro shows burn damage after what investigators said was arson. The home was an Oxford House.

Carrboro investigators are saying the early November arson of a recovery house for substance abusers was at the hand of one resident’s ex-boyfriend.

Paul Martin, 48, of Durham, was charged with second-degree arson, felony breaking and entering and larceny Nov. 5 after starting a fire at a residence at 109 Weatherhill Point, said Chris Atack, Carrboro Police Department investigator.

Martin was arrested at his Durham residence and was still in jail on a $100,000 bond as of Tuesday afternoon.

Atack said Martin allegedly broke into the Carrboro residence and started the fire around 10 a.m. Nov. 4.

The home is part of a national organization called Oxford House, which is a network of homes that provide a clean living environment for recovering addicts.

There are more than 130 Oxford Houses in North Carolina, with 13 in Orange County.

“It’s a group support system of people that hold each other accountable,” said Troy Manns, an outreach worker for the state’s Oxford Houses. “They help each other through hard times without the use of drugs or alcohol.”

Although no one was in the house at the time of the fire, the second story of the home was destroyed along with the belongings of three women with rooms on the floor, said house resident Samaar Whack.

Because of the extensive fire and water damage, the women living in the Oxford House will be temporarily relocated to another residence while it is repaired.

Atack said he believes the arson stemmed from Martin’s anger over an ended relationship with one of the home’s residents.

“It appears that Martin wanted to get back together and she didn’t,” Atack said. “It is now a case of domestic violence.”

He said the resident has been referred to a domestic violence prevention center and is planning to seek a restraining order against Martin.

Whack said her housemate has not been in recent contact with Martin to her knowledge, and their relationship has been over for some time.

Atack said this is the first time he has seen a crime of this nature in his nearly 12 years in law enforcement. He said the house residents were surprised by the crime but are attempting to carry on with their lives.

“It’s obviously not something that was on their radar,” he said. “They have moved on from this and are recovering.”

And Whack said despite the incident, living in the house has helped her to get her life back on the right track.

“That’s what the Oxford House does,” she said.

“It helps people reach their goals at many levels.”