Eve Ball benefits scholarship fund

Lori Burgwyn, owner of Franklin Street Yoga Center, poses in her studio. The center is hosting the second annual Eve Ball, held tonight at the Carolina Club.

A local business is giving community members another chance to remember both Halloween celebrations and a lost leader.

Franklin Street Yoga Center will bring Halloween back tonight by hosting the second annual Eve Ball dance party at the Carolina Club.

Lori Burgwyn, owner of the yoga center and a UNC alumna, said she came up with the concept because former Student Body President Eve Carson attended her yoga center before her death in 2008.

“I didn’t know her really well, but having something that tragic happen in this area, we wanted to contribute to her scholarship,” Burgwyn said.

“We had already been having donation classes where we’d raise $400, but I wasn’t happy with that. I wanted to make a much, much bigger impact.”

Last year, the event drew 300 attendees and raised $12,000. Burgwyn said donations have been smaller this year, but she expects the same turnout. All proceeds will benefit the Eve Carson Scholarship.

Chase Jones, one of the two recipients of last year’s scholarship, said the award has given him more than he ever imagined it would.

“It has led to relationships, experiences and chances to talk to people I would’ve never had the opportunity to beforehand,” he said.

Jones attended last year’s event and will be a judge for the costume contest this year.

Attendees will be judged in six different costume categories including “best couple” and “most amazingly spectacular.” Winners from each category will receive $200.

Director of the Eve Carson Scholarship Katherine Novinski said students play an important role in fundraising efforts.

“Our tag line is ‘Students Celebrating Students,’ which is why we want as many students to attend the Eve Ball and run in the 5K as possible,” she said.

Novinski said she hopes the event, which is restricted to those 21 and older, will become a tradition among seniors.

“An alumnus has agreed to pledge $20,000 if the senior class reaches the goal of 43 percent participation, which is why we are trying to get as many seniors there as possible,” Novinski said.

Student Body President Hogan Medlin said he plans to attend the ball not only for the fun, but also because Carson was a close friend.

“Eve was a hard worker and studier, but she always loved dance parties,” Medlin said.

Burgwyn said Carson’s death affected everyone in the Chapel Hill area, and the community should keep her legacy in mind.

“We can continue that both by promoting her scholarship and making a difference in our community,” she said.

Student tickets are $15 in advance, and $30 the night of the event with a costume. Tickets for non-students are $25 in advance and $30 the night of the event with a costume.

Tickets are $60 at the door without a costume.