Frontcourt to rely on Henson, Zeller

UNC turns to improved post players

Tipping the scales at 210 pounds, John Henson will be one of the lightest big men in college basketball this season. He’ll also be among those who have packed on the most pounds since 2009.

At this time a year ago, Henson’s toothpick-like, 6-foot-10 frame was reinforced by a mere 190 pounds — just 10 pounds heavier than Tar Heel point guard Larry Drew II. As a result, Henson rarely ventured into the low post offensively, instead relying on his length and athleticism to slash for scores from the perimeter.

But with four UNC big men departed after last season, and junior Tyler Zeller the only other returning Tar Heel listed above 6-foot-4, Henson spent the offseason preparing to take on more duties between the blocks.

“I lifted four days a week, ate as much as I could and slept right after I ate,” Henson said. “I had a lot of Chipotle.”
The result is a 20 pounds heftier Henson in 2010, whose extra girth will be a needed addition to a UNC frontcourt that has been depleted by attrition over the past few months.

Both Deon Thompson and Ed Davis, UNC’s top two in scoring and rebounding last season, have moved on to the professional ranks, while promising freshmen David and Travis Wear opted to transfer following the 2009 school year.

The Tar Heels sustained an additional gut punch when senior forward Will Graves was dismissed from the team in October, removing the team’s lone scholarship senior and only true returning inside-outside threat.

“We spent so much time this summer thinking about having Will as a 4-man, and what a matchup problem that would be for the other team because their 4-man, probably bigger, is going to have to come out a long way to find Will,” UNC coach Roy Williams said.

“(Now) we’ve had to throw some of those things that we were thinking out the window.”

The loss of Graves leaves Henson, Zeller and Alabama transfer Justin Knox as the only elements of a talented but paper-thin frontcourt for North Carolina.

Though Henson’s improved strength should refine his finishing at the rim and help him improve on his 4.4 rebounds per game in 2009, UNC will expect Zeller to provide the team’s main presence in the paint.

The 7-foot Zeller has proven a capable contributor in his freshman and sophomore campaigns, but injury problems have interrupted each of his first two seasons in Chapel Hill.

Last season, Zeller was part of highly touted frontcourt that struggled to produce consistently thanks to injuries to five UNC big men.

This year, North Carolina will lean heavily on the Washington, Ind., native, who is primed for a big year as the No. 1 option down low. Both he and Henson should be able to present a considerable frontcourt threat for the guard-heavy Tar Heels.
But even with Knox expected to provide some help on the boards and in post defense, an injury to Zeller or another member of the Tar Heels’ front line would leave UNC desperately shorthanded on the low blocks, threatening to derail the Tar Heels’ lofty goals for the second consecutive season.

“We can turn it around a lot this year,” Zeller said.

“We have the talent and ability, so we have to put it all together.”