Presentations ranged from a male birth control pill to biofuels Thursday evening during an expo of recent research out of UNC.

Hosted by the Office of Technology Development, the Carolina Seeds of Innovation showcase aimed to provide researchers with business and networking opportunities.

“It’s important to get the technology to the public’s hands,” said attendee Harvey Krasmy.

The night featured five presenters, each of whom gave a short lecture on the marketability and details of their respective studies.

Suzanne Minton, one of the presenters, said opportunities for research at the University are great, but that researchers also have to look outside the campus.

“We love UNC, but we need to grow new businesses,” she said.

Minton presented a non-hormonal male birth control pill which could be made available within the next decade.

“Men really do want to be able to take responsibility for family planning,” she said. “Male contraception is going to be a really hot new product.”

Other presentations included research that could lead to more accurate drug testing, more efficient energy collection and storage in solar panels, improved methods of creating hydrogen fuel, and nanocapsules for the application of medicine for cancer patients.

“The seminar is aimed at fostering that culture of innovation and helping faculty, students and staff,” said Peter Liao, project manager in the Office of Technology Development.

“We like to show examples of how innovation is managed and how things are commercialized.”

After the seminar, attendees and presenters gathered at the Top of the Hill for a networking session.

One of the goals of the seminar was to promote collaboration between people of different fields.

Keith Karczewski, a self-employed consultant, said he thinks the collaboration of students and professionals is important for funding as well as marketability.

“It’s a good way to stop programs that are either not going to be defensible from a legal perspective or aren’t going to have a commercial application,” he said.

“I think it’s a great way to bring the community in early on so that a lot of the effort doesn’t get wasted.”

Chancellor Holden Thorp has pushed for the University to prioritize the creation of innovative, entrepreneurial projects on campus. Thorp initiated the Innovate@Carolina program this year to help researchers see beyond the purely academic value of their work.

“The seminar pushes the forefront both of medicine and technology while recognizing that you need to focus on the commercial application,” said attendee Timm Crowder.

“It supports the economic mission of the University.”