Inter-Faith Council's holiday meals program serves needy families

More than 800 local families can look forward to turkey, ham, stuffing and pie this holiday season thanks to a local organization and gracious neighbors.

The Inter-Faith Council for Social Service will be providing families with meals as they celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and the winter solstice through its holiday meals program.

“The holidays are a special time of year,” said Kristin Lavergne, the IFC’s community services director. “People think of food, of family and getting together.

“It can be stressful if you don’t have the resources to do that any time of year, but especially around the holidays.”

Community members and organizations can buy coupons for $25, which provides a holiday meal to one family, said Chris Moran, the IFC’s executive director.

This year, coordinators said they hope to supply about 840 meals to area families — the most the program has ever donated. Last year the program generated 823 meals for 2,422 people.

“We’ve tried to grow as much as we can,” Lavergne said. “Obviously our demand goes up when the economy is bad.”

Families in need must apply to receive a holiday meal and can pick up the food, which is bought from Food Lion or donated by farmer’s markets, at the IFC’s office at 110 W. Main St. in Carrboro.

“People apply every year, and when we started taking applications there was a line all the way out to the parking lot the first day,” Moran said.

He said there are many new families each year, ranging from those who are economically disadvantaged for the first time to the ones who have been thinking about applying for a while and finally make the decision to do so.

“(Families) are given numbers, they come in and volunteers from various congregations come in and distribute it on the days that we do that,” he said.

The Social Justice Life Group, a focus group of the UNC InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, is also helping provide for the program.

The group decided to participate after speaking with a friend who now works with the IFC, said senior Julia Wood.

Some group members spent Nov. 2 fasting and donated all the money they would have spent on food that day to the program, Wood said. She said the group raised enough to buy two holiday meals for disadvantaged families.

“(The council) is loving a huge part of our community that needs to be loved,” Wood said.