N.C State's Nate Irving continues incredible journey

Senior linebacker Nate Irving converges on UNC running back Shaun Draughn in 2008. Irving sat out the 2009 season after suffering major injuries in a one-car accident. He now leads the team in tackles and sacks.

Nate Irving is back.

Irving missed all of last season with a one-car accident that left him with a separated shoulder, a broken rib and collapsed lung on his left side, and a badly fractured left leg.

It was no sure thing that he would live, let alone come back to star on the gridiron.

But just 17 months later, he finds himself leading the N.C. State Wolfpack defense in tackles, tackles for loss, sacks and quarterback hits, as the Wolfpack are two wins from the ACC Championship game.

Already with career highs in sacks and tackles for a loss, Irving is just seven tackles from setting another career record in the category.

“It’s a testament to how hard he’s worked,” North Carolina fullback Curtis Byrd said.

Two years ago, Irving led the team in interceptions, but the accident has robbed him of some of the speed needed to play in coverage. But Irving is still a fearsome pass rusher.

He makes plays in the backfield, evident by his 18.5 tackles for loss. That more than doubles his closest Wolfpack teammate.

“Their defense is vastly improved from last year,” UNC coach Butch Davis said. “They’re putting a lot of pressure on the quarterback. Their linebackers are playing outstanding. I can tell you that on film, he seems like the best linebacker we’ve played this year.”

Despite the stats, UNC hasn’t developed any game plans working on blocking him.

“The key to blocking a guy like that is just taking good angles and getting on him,” Tar Heel center Cam Holland said. “Once that happens, it will take care of itself. Good technique will get it done.”

They are more of the mindset that if they run their schemes properly, he will be neutralized regardless.

“You got to treat him like he’s any other player,” Byrd said. “Of course we respect his speed and agility, but as far as I know, we’re not giving him any special attention. We’re just going to play our game.”

If the Tar Heels are going to win the rivalry game, the UNC offensive line will need to replicate their play against Florida State instead of last week’s performance against Virginia Tech.

Their ability to keep Irving out of the backfield could have a huge impact on the outcome of the game.

“It is one of those positions that works together as a unit,” Holland said. “This year we’ve had a lot of guys who started a lot of games together, and that definitely helps us play together as a unit and play together individually.”

Contact the Sports Editor

at sports@unc.edu.