McKee wins Orange County commissioners seat

Earl McKee, Democratic candidate for the Orange County Board of COmmissioners, stands with his wife, Sandra, Tuesday evening before cutting into a cake to celebrate his victory.

Hillsborough’s Holiday Inn Express buzzed with excitement Tuesday night as poll results rolled in and Earl McKee claimed his seat on the Board of Orange County Commissioners.

The Democratic candidate, McKee won 31,804 votes, almost 72 percent of the total, in the 2nd District race against Republican Greg Andrews, according to unofficial Board of Elections results.

“This is much less a reflection of what I have done than what you all have done,” McKee said to his supporters.

“I want to thank you for the effort you have put out. I’m a bit overwhelmed right now.”

Phillip Walker, a friend and supporter of McKee, congratulated him after his win was announced.

“You have a huge burden ahead of you,” Walker said. “I honestly appreciate you taking that task and your willingness to take that ball and run with it.”

McKee is a lifelong resident of Orange County and a full-time farmer. He is the president of the Board of Directors of the Caldwell Fire Department and serves on the county’s planning board.

Upon joining the board, McKee said he hopes to balance the county’s strained revenues with the growing needs of its residents.

“Some of the services we’ve enjoyed in the past may have to be looked at,” he said.

At his own party, Andrews said he was disappointed in the results.

“I hear these people complaining at tax rallies,” said Andrews, who ran for the seat because he was dissatisfied with the board’s discussions on property taxes.

Despite the loss, Andrews said he and his supporters accomplished a lot.

“We made (Democrats) come out in force this year,” Andrews said. “I just want to thank everybody.”

Andrews’ wife, Shannon, said she was ready for the campaign to be over but was pleased with the diverse range of support her husband gained.

“It’s been very busy, but it’s been an eye-opener because Greg has brought a different perspective to the county,” she said. “There have been a lot of people who have crossed party lines.”

Andrews said part of his support came from traditional Democrats who didn’t vote a straight ticket.

“I think they see what I do in the community,” he said. “You should vote for the person, not the party.”

Both Andrews and McKee said the gap between party results was in part the result of a mostly Democratic county.

“I also believe people have noticed the time and effort I have taken to learn the real issues and concerns of this county,” McKee said.