N.C. State beats UNC 29-25

Seniors go winless against Wolfpack

North Carolina’s seniors went empty-handed against N.C. State, losing their fourth straight rivalry game to the Wolfpack 29-25 in Kenan Stadium on Saturday.

The Tar Heels held a nine-point advantage with one minute left in the third quarter, but 21 straight points in the final sixteen minutes of the game doomed the Tar Heels to their fifth loss of the season.

The momentum shifted when N.C. State was able to score on an improbable two-yard jump ball that was batted around until it was corralled by Owen Spencer just before it hit the ground. After a lengthy review, the play stood, and the Wolfpack found themselves down just two points.

After the play, UNC’s Kevin Reddick and N.C. State’s Jarvis Williams were both ejected for an altercation in the back of the end zone.

In the postgame, free safety Deunta Williams said that the personal foul along with a previous one earlier in the drive by Williams were precipitated by Wolfpack players spitting in the Tar Heels’ faces.

UNC went three-and-out on the ensuing drive, and T.J. Graham made them pay, returning the punt 87 yards down the sideline to put N.C. State ahead for good.
The Tar Heels twice got the ball within the four, but both times settled for field goals in the third quarter.
North Carolina scored with 1:05 left in the fourth quarter to get within two, but T.J. Yates’ desperation lop into the back of the end zone on the two-point conversion fell harmlessly to the turf.
Armed with three timeouts, North Carolina stopped the Wolfpack and got the ball back on the five-yard line with 36 seconds left. On the first play, however, N.C. State linebacker Terrell Manning brought down Yates in the end zone for a safety.

Quarterback T.J. Yates became the most prolific passer in UNC history, passing Darian Durant in the third quarter with a screen pass to Dwight Jones. For the game, he finished with 411 yards. For good measure, he surpassed his career high for completions with 33.

Anthony Elzy reached the century mark for receiving in the second consecutive game, gaining 178 yards on the day.