No Shave November getting hairy

Men, women can participate

Senior business major Grant Miller is participating in No Shave November, a national event where people avoid shaving for a month.

“Scruffy,” “fuzzy” and “hairy” time is here and will remain trendy throughout November as the weather cools down, beards grow out and the competition heats up.

No Shave November is a cultural phenomenon that encourages men to put the razor down for one month and embrace their natural scruff.

Women are also welcome to participate in the event.

For senior Grant Miller, it’s an opportunity to show off his ability to grow a fuller beard than his friends.

“This is a time for hairy men to unite and be proud and unashamed of our natural body and growth,” he said.

There’s only one rule to follow: There is absolutely no shaving during the month. Grooming methods such as waxing or trimming are also prohibited and immediately disqualify the participant from the event.

Miller, who said he is used to a five o’clock shadow at the most, said that it will not be difficult to stay committed and embrace the scruff.

“The only difficulties I foresee are a little itching and maybe a loss of its sex appeal as it grows into a fuller lumberjack-looking lush,” he said.

And although Miller said he has the potential of growing a beard close to a couple of inches, he has to battle against more than just the possible alienation from girls or excessive itching.

“I’m too whipped by my mom to keep my beard,” Miller said. “Right when November ends, I’m shaving it for her sake.”

He also said it’s not just for guys.

“If you’re a girl and want to do it, then more power to you,” he said. “You just have to be willing to wear shorts in the winter to show off the leg hair.”

For Giovana Espejo, this phenomenon is an opportunity to be lazy and stay warm in the cold months.

Espejo, a sophomore international studies major, said she is not intimidated by the challenge, and will not shave her legs for the entire month, possibly longer.

Aside from protecting the face or legs of the brave from the piercing winds, participating in No Shave November, according to the event’s website, is an excellent excuse for students to save money and sleep an extra 10 minutes.

Although this month may make some girls lose attraction to their significant others, junior Lindsay Bever said she is looking forward to seeing the potential of her boyfriend’s beard.

“Some people are really bothered by hair, but I dig it,” she said.

According to the website, a male’s beard grows 5.5 inches per year, and the average man will spend 140 days of his life shaving.

Miller said that the only people who should participate in the month-long event are those who can grow a beard that exudes manliness and generates respect from their fellow bearded men and admiration from those who can’t quite keep up.

“If you can’t grow it, don’t show it,” he said.