UNC football aims to mitigate turnovers

Quarterback T.J. Yates had a tough go against Virginia Tech on Saturday, tying a career high with four interceptions thrown in one game.

The more things change for North Carolina quarterback T.J. Yates, the more they stay the same.

After spending three years as a target of criticism, it had seemed Yates had turned a corner. Two weeks ago at Florida State, Yates had a career day, throwing for a school-record 439 yards and three touchdowns.

But Saturday against Virginia Tech, Yates’ longtime bugaboo — the interception — came back to haunt him, as the senior doubled his season tally with four picks and contributed to UNC’s six total turnovers in a 26-10 loss.

“The turnovers, those are just killers,” UNC coach Butch Davis said. “If you turn the ball over six times and you don’t create any turnovers yourself then it’s almost impossible to win a game.”

The four interceptions were as many as Yates had thrown throughout what has been a stellar senior campaign.

Three of the passes were thrown from inside Virginia Tech territory, one of which was ripped from the hands of UNC receiver Erik Highsmith in the VT end zone and would have given the Tar Heels a 10-point lead.

On Monday, Yates said most of the interceptions were caused more by Va. Tech’s talent than by any fault of his own.

“They were very skilled in the defensive backfield, a lot more than we originally had thought,” Yates said. “They did a good job of tracking a lot of balls down in the air. Me and (offensive coordinator John) Shoop talked about it. Three of those four interceptions I would have thrown the same ball again.”

The turnovers through the air were exacerbated by a pair of lost fumbles, including one that was lost at the goal line. All of the lost possessions put increased pressure on the UNC defense to come up with a turnover of its own.

“The way that the game was going, we were all looking for a spark,” senior safety Deunta Williams said. “You’ve got guys jumping out of gaps and trying to strip the ball. When you’re trying to strip the ball, you’re not really tackling the guy, so he gets two or three extra yards.”

Davis said the Tar Heels will have to be more careful with the football this Saturday against an N.C. State team that ranks third in the ACC in turnovers caused.

“We’ve got to play better,” Davis said. “We’ve got to play as well as we possibly can play, and we’ve got to minimize our mistakes and not give games away. We can’t spot other teams the opportunity to win the game; we’ve got to make them earn it.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.