This Tuesday the Carrboro Board of Aldermen will consider a change to the Land Use Ordinance (LUO), which will affect property owners in Carrboro. The proposed change will give the Carrboro Board of Adjustment the right to review and deny all new flag lot applications starting as soon as Nov. 23, 2010.

There has been little public notice of this suggested change regarding minimum lot widths and flag lots. If enacted, the change in the LUO will potentially reduce property values, make subdividing property more difficult and even impossible in many cases, make many lots indivisible, and potentially reduce the overall tax base of the town.

The Town of Carrboro supports sustainability and the triple bottom line: social equity, economic prosperity and environmental stewardship. Enacting this ordinance change flies in the face of its commitment to sustainability. Increasing density in downtown on infill flag lots means greater affordability (social equity producing workforce housing) and safety by adding to the foot traffic and walkability thus reducing pollution and automobile traffic. Infill flag lots are smaller and therefore are greener — smaller homes on smaller lots (environmental stewardship).

If you are committed to a more sustainable community please attend the meeting on Tuesday in Carrboro Town Hall at 7:30 p.m., and/or communicate with the Aldermen your opposition to this change.

Ken Gorfkle

Carrboro Resident