Second-half run sparks UNC basketball

22-8 stretch seals rematch contest

Sophomore forward John Henson goes up for a block against a Cougar. He was the first to score in a game-sealing 22-8 run for the Tar Heels.

With the North Carolina basketball team facing a 50-45 College of Charleston lead with less than 13 minutes remaining, a sense of dismay set in among the Smith Center attendees.

Cougar guard Andrew Goudelock was hitting 3-pointers à la last year when his team beat UNC 82-79. And Goudelock wasn’t just hitting set shots, he was hitting circus shots.

The game seemed on track for another College of Charleston upset, and panic set in across most of the arena, except for UNC’s players.

“I loved our poise,” UNC coach Roy Williams said. “They go up five. Goudelock is making some unbelievable shots, and we kept playing. And I love that. I don’t want to have to call a timeout and just let the kids panic. I think you get stronger through the course of your program if kids can figure that out themselves.”

But from that point on, it wasn’t so much that the Tar Heels kept playing as it was that the Tar Heels started competing. UNC rebounded, played defense and as Williams put it, “lost themselves in the game” en route to pulling off a game-sealing 22-8 run.

“I attribute that to our great defense,” UNC forward John Henson said. “We played defense, and we got long rebounds and we got steals.”

Henson was the first to score on the run, but the change in pace really began when UNC forward Harrison Barnes was out of position defensively. Other Tar Heels hurried to cover his man before a 3-point attempt.

The shot went up with all but one of UNC’s players away from the basket. And the air-ball fell right into Kendall Marshall’s hands.

The freshman point guard knew what to do with it and flung the ball up court to a streaking Reggie Bullock for two points.

“Kendall gets you in there a little bit better,” Williams said. “I talked to Larry (Drew II) about how he’s got to continue to emphasize pushing the ball, and I think that’s something we’ll continue working on.”

UNC was fueled by each defensive stop, each turnover and each bucket to finish the 22-8 run leading College of Charleston 67-58.

During the stretch, UNC shot a solid 8-for-16, but it was defense and offensive rebounding that truly made the difference. The Tar Heels grabbed five of their 15 offensive boards during the eight-minute, 34-second run.

Though Williams and the team were happy to see how effective they can be while running the fast-break offense, the Tar Heels know this was really its first emergence, and it still needs work.

“It should be better,” Barnes said. “The essential would be we get it out, push it two or three passes and it should be a layup. So we obviously have a long way to go in terms of all five players working together as one unit.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.