Tar Heels put away Cougars, 74-69

Henson leads UNC with 19 points

Sophomore Dexter Strickland dunks to earn two of his nine points to cap a late UNC drive that sealed a win against College of Charleston.

The difference between this year’s men’s basketball team and last year’s was readily apparent in the last six minutes of North Carolina’s 74-69 win against College of Charleston on Sunday.

Armed with a 62-56 lead, UNC got stops and continued scoring to put away the Cougars. Sometimes it is that simple.

Last year, the Tar Heels would have allowed the Cougars back into the game by allowing just enough scores on defense and faltering offensively. This year’s team instead held College of Charleston to 4-for-13 shooting for the final six minutes as it pulled away.

“I thought that our team came together in the second half as a team, more emotion, more enthusiasm,” UNC coach Roy Williams said. “They lost themselves in the game more than we have at any point this year. I think that’s the way you grow and mature as a team.”

While North Carolina didn’t look very comfortable in the halfcourt, its suffocating defense caused the Cougars to turn the ball over and hurry to shoot deep 3- pointers, both of which gave UNC more transition opportunities than it had previously seen.

“We buckled down on defense,” forward John Henson said. “Whenever there is a steal, or there’s a long rebound, that’s how we get to run. I think in the second half we had a couple plays where we got to run and threw it out. Stops and rebounds.”

In the first half, the Tar Heels looked to pound the ball inside and exploit their height advantage over the Charleston defense. Charleston made it a point to stifle the Tar Heels’ transition by getting back on defense.

Instead, UNC struggled to get any movement and ended up shooting 39.3 percent for the half.

Luckily for UNC, Charleston didn’t scorch the nets either, shooting 36.7 percent on its end on the way to a 28-27 halftime deficit.

“We knew that the second half was going to define what kind of team we were going to be,” freshman Harrison Barnes said. “Every game that we’ve been in so far, it’s been a one or two-point game at half, so we had to buckle down and play our game.”

Henson was the leading scorer for the Tar Heels, dropping 19 points on an array of post moves and dunks. The game was a far cry from the Henson that came to Chapel Hill last year and wafted around the perimeter.

“I feel a lot more comfortable (in the post),” Henson said. “Just having that confidence and practicing every day, it gets easier and easier. Hopefully I can build off this win and build off what I did tonight.”

Barnes, the preseason first-team All-American, went 3-for-12 from the field, scoring eight points, but he was able to grab a career-high nine rebounds.

The true star of the day was Dexter Strickland, who was the main culprit in holding College of Charleston star Andrew Goudelock scoreless for 10 minutes while UNC made its 22-8 run.

Goudelock scored a game-high 28 points, but it took him 27 shots to get there.

“Goudelock shoots with confidence,” Strickland said. “What I had to do was stop him from getting the ball, because I knew once he got it he was going to try to get a shot. Everybody did a great job of rotating out and helping.”

Contact the Sports Editor

at sports@unc.edu.