Third year for Eve Carson 5K

Participants in the 2009 Eve Carson Memorial 5k take off from the start line.  This year’s race through campus begins on Saturday at 10 am.
Participants in the 2009 Eve Carson Memorial 5k take off from the start line. This year’s race through campus begins on Saturday at 10 am.

Six months from now, the last class of students to know former Student Body President Eve Carson will graduate.

At 10 a.m. on Nov. 6, the Eve Carson Memorial 5K for Education will aim to make sure her legacy does not end on graduation day.

Cosponsored by the UNC chapters of Pi Beta Phi sorority and Phi Delta Theta fraternity, Saturday’s race will mark the third year of the annual Eve Carson Memorial 5K for Education.

Junior Katherine Richey, director of the race, said the event is expected to draw more than 1,000 people, including runners from California, Mississippi and Florida.

Last year’s race broke campus records by attracting more than 1,200 registered runners.

“It’s a way for some people to continue to heal,” Richey said. “I think that’s really important to the University.”

Richey said, as of Thursday morning, the race had already raised more than $15,000 through registration and sponsored fund-raisers.

Katherine Novinski, director of the Eve Marie Carson Memorial Junior-Year Merit Scholarship, said 75 percent of the funds raised by the race will benefit the next class of scholars.

“The race each year provides an avenue for people to give back, but in a more active way,” Novinski said.

She said the funds for the scholarship allow two juniors the chance to carry on Carson’s legacy globally, but added the race has greater value to many.

“The race doesn’t just stand for a financial purpose,” Novinski said. “It weaves together so many different individuals who are all motivated by the fact that they want to honor Eve’s legacy.”

Sophomore Brady Lawrence, president of the cross country club, said he looked forward to running in the race this year.

Lawrence, who placed second in the race last year, said there is competition among runners, but they are all running for Carson.

Lawrence said the course is certified by the USA Track and Field association, which makes it especially attractive for serious runners.

“The Eve Carson course is really great,” Lawrence said.

“A lot of the races on the campus are a little off in how they measure distances.”

Richey said she didn’t want the numbers to determine the success of the race, adding the event is more about celebrating Eve’s life.

Richey said she hopes every student participates in the 5k race before they graduate, since it offers the opportunity to bring the entire Carolina community together.

“It would be another tragedy if we weren’t able to keep this going and keep her legacy alive,” Richey said.