Virginia Tech dominates UNC 26-10

Hokies held Tar Heels scoreless in the second half

North Carolina turned the ball over six times, doubling its previous season-high, en route to a 26-10 loss to Virginia Tech. Although the Tar Heels led 10-9 at halftime, the Hokies dominated the final 30 minutes and outscored UNC 17-0.

After the Hokies scored on their first two drives of that second half, UNC’s defense forced a three-and-out punt. The punt bounced and then touched Da’Norris Searcy’s hand before a Virginia Tech player recovered it in UNC territory. The play was a huge momentum boost for the Hokies, but a frustrated Searcy said he was surprised by the ruling.

Searcy said he didn’t touch the ball.

The Hokies pushed on and held UNC in check the entire game, never coming down from the mountain of momentum from that play.

It’s of note that T.J. Yates became UNC’s all-time leader in career completions in the second quarter, but that accolade was overshadowed by the senior quarterback’s four interceptions. Yates finished the game with 197 yards passing and no touchdowns.

Perhaps the only working piece in UNC’s offense was running back Anthony Elzy who tallied 188 all-purpose yards, including 103 yards receiving. Elzy referred to his play as “sour and sweet,” mostly in reference to a fourth-quarter fumble in the end zone.

The loss knocks UNC out of ACC Championship contention and moves the Hokies, within a win, against Miami next week, of winning the Coastal Division.