Carolina Brewery expanding its reach

Carolina Brewery recently signed agreements with several beer distribution companies to distribute their beer throughout the state so they can focus on making beer.

And Carolina Brewery said: Let them drink beer.

Beer enthusiasts across the state can rejoice as the local brewery expands its distribution, which will now span from the Outer Banks to the Piedmont.

Carolina Brewery has signed four distribution deals in the past year for the craft beers it’s been making since 1995.

Owner Robert Poitras said the brewery, which has locations in Chapel Hill and Pittsboro, previously handled its own distribution.

Outsourcing this task allows them to focus on making beer.

“It’s definitely a change,” Poitras said. “We look forward to continuing to grow.”

The brewery has signed with wholesalers Harris Inc., Harris Wholesale, City Beverage and, most recently, R. H. Barringer.

Each company serves various parts of the state.

Poitras said he’s noticed a trend in local breweries expanding and an increased demand for craft beers in North Carolina.

Product distribution is a three-tiered process that forbids manufacturers from selling directly to retailers, wrote Agnes Stevens, state Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission spokeswoman, in an e-mail.

In order to expand into new markets, breweries are signing on with wholesalers.

Poitras said the brewery’s reputation is what first attracted distributors, allowing the company to form great partnerships when they decided to expand.

“They knew who we were as a local brewery, and they were eager to talk to us,” he said.

The brewery’s beers are now available at restaurants and grocery stores, including Weaver Street Market. Poitras said business has grown “exponentially” since he expanded.

“We’re trying to keep up with our demand,” he said.

Jon Connolly, director of brewery operations, said the company makes its beer with traditional ingredients like hops, yeast and water, which, depending on the combinations, produce different flavors.

Fermentation can take weeks.

“That’s why there are different beer styles across the world,” he said.

The brewery has close to 30 varieties of beer. Usually six are on tap, and some are seasonally available.

The top beers at the brewery include the Sky Blue Golden Ale, the Copperline Amber Ale and the Flagship India Pale Ale. All have won awards.

David Leonard, brewery floor supervisor, said each beer has its own personality and each brewmaster adds something different to the product.

Julie Sciarra, a Durham resident, said she visits the brewery whenever she’s in town and tries a different beer each time.

“It’s a Chapel Hill landmark,” she said.

Poitras said the brewery is still looking to expand further and hopes to be available statewide in two years.

“It’s an exciting time to be a brewer in North Carolina,” he said.

Contact the City Editor

at citydesk@unc.edu.