As the leading proponent of the Title VI bill, I would like to point out Title VI, Section 404 states “potential candidates and campaigns shall be subject to the laws governing elections and all restrictions herein.” Additionally, Section 408 states that “the following Student Government officers shall not participate in a campaign for any elected position or make public endorsement for any candidate nor shall they make any statement against a campaign or candidate: … Student Body Secretary.”

If Rick Ingram can prove that the student body secretary is running for student body president, then he has a valid complaint because the student body secretary cannot participate in a campaign or even a potential campaign. Ian Lee could only participate (or run) in this election if he resigns from his position as student body secretary.

Furthermore, I want to clarify that individuals can privately campaign — so long as candidates reach out to five or fewer new people at a time. It was my understanding when we discussed the bill in committee and then in full Congress that it should be legal. The one exception in the Code is a clerical error that was overlooked when we were editing it. I hope that this has provided some clarity to the debate.

Zachary De La Rosa
Rules and Judiciary Chair
Student Congress