Monday April 12th

Harrison Barnes posts 25 in romp against N.C. State

Harrison Barnes with a jump shot to expand Carolina's lead on Saturday.
Buy Photos Harrison Barnes with a jump shot to expand Carolina's lead on Saturday.

The North Carolina men’s basketball team topped N.C. State 84-64 in the Smith Center on Saturday.

The team was buoyed by Harrison Barnes, whose 25 points was just two shy of the team-wide season high of 27 points held by Tyler Zeller.

Barnes went 10-for-16 from the field, leading the Tar heels in scoring.

John Henson wreaked havoc on the Wolfpack interior offense, as he grabbed a game-high 16 rebounds and swatted seven shots.

Henson was also productive on the offensive end, going 6-for-10 from the field and 4-for-8 from the free throw line to end with 16 points.

“I feel like when I’m shooting at the free-throw line, the crowd is closing their eyes and curled up, so it’s kind of funny when I make two shots,” Henson said.

“The crowd gets more loud when I make free throws than any other time, so I think that’s kind of funny.”

The point guard duo of Larry Drew II and Kendall Marshall combined for eight assists and two turnovers, while keeping the offense in rhythm. The team shot 57.6 percent in the second half.

The Tar Heels dominated the glass, grabbing 53 rebounds to State’s 39.

The win puts UNC alone at second place in the ACC at 5-1 with its next game Tuesday against Boston College.

Look in Monday’s paper for full game stories.

The Daily Tar Heel for April 2, 2021