Bullock plays career game for grandmother

3988_bballsiderussellf.jpg
Reggie Bullock throws down a two-handed jam for two of his 18 points against Clemson. He broke his career-high of 12 set earlier this season.

Reggie Bullock’s grandmother Patricia Williams died just days before North Carolina’s game against Virginia on Jan. 8.

Since her death, the freshman had scored eight points in three contests.

But on Tuesday, Bullock blasted his career-high of 12 points with an 18-point performance against Clemson. And the whole time, his grandmother was with him.

“Just coming out tonight and playing for my grandma, that was the main thing I was doing,” Bullock said.“Back in high school I’d play every game for her, and I just tried to do that tonight. I actually felt her when I was out there playing, and I just knew she was out there watching me.”

UNC coach Roy Williams needed a big game from the freshman who has been the quietest statistically this season. He got bang for his buck with Bullock, who averaged a point a minute along with tying a career-high five rebounds.

Leslie McDonald was the highest-scoring Tar Heel coming off the bench, but back contusions kept the sophomore out of Tuesday’s game.

“At practice I asked the guys, ‘Who’s been shooting it the best?’ And they said Leslie. And I asked, ‘Who’s been shooting it the second best?’ And they said Reggie,” Williams said. “We needed somebody to step up and make some outside shots. They went zone a few times in the second half and we didn’t knock any shots in at that point, but Reggie gave us a huge lift in the first half.”

In just 10 minutes of first-half play, Bullock went 6-for-7 from the field and drained three 3-pointers. He entered the game averaging 5.2 points mixed with an anemic .190 3-point percentage in the past five games.

“Now my confidence is starting to build and I know I just have to go out there and play my game,” Bullock said. “My teammates are going to find me. Coach is going to coach, and I’m going to listen to what he says.”

Bullock subbed regularly for fellow freshman Harrison Barnes, who struggled Tuesday with six turnovers and 4-for-9 shooting.

“We always talk about how we never get a chance to play together because I thought he’d be coming in playing the 2 and he thought I’d play the 3, but then we both played the same position,” Barnes said. “It was great for him to go out there and do his thing tonight. We really needed him in this game.”

The two connected late when he passed crosscourt to Barnes, who knocked down a crucial trey to put UNC up 66-63.

As the Tar Heels went downcourt, Williams flashed his signature pose — squatting with arms extended mightily, screaming for defense. Bullock imitated his coach’s stance on Clemson’s Demontez Stitt with a grin.

Bullock finally had his game, and he could only imagine his grandmother’s reaction.

“She would have been jumping out of her wheelchair,” he said. “She knew that I was hitting shots. I know she was there with me tonight.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.