In Chapel Hill, the memory and dreams of Martin Luther King Jr. are alive.

Children, students and adults can all celebrate his spirit at community events beginning Monday.

UNC celebrating all week

The University will host activities beginning on Sunday and going through Friday. This year’s theme is “Race … American Dilemma?”

“What we’re really meaning is that the color line isn’t just a problem of the 20th century,” coordinator Lisle Bull said.

And Sunday’s 26th Annual University/Community Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Banquet has sold out. More than 400 people will attend.

Monday, a University holiday, will be emphasized as a day for service. Students are encouraged to get involved and give back to the community.

CNN anchor Soledad O’Brien will give the 30th Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Lecture on Wednesday. She will be the first Latina speaker for the lecture and was picked for her involvement with CNN’s program “Black in America,” a documentary series about the culture of U.S. black families.

“We’re bringing in Soledad to see if the news is restoring (King’s) dream,” Bull said. “Is Martin Luther King’s dream of a world where race is not a significant predictor of opportunity promoted or thwarted by the 24-hour news cycle?”

Terrence Roberts of the Little Rock Nine will recount his experience at Union Auditorium Thursday, and a panel called “MLK, Today: Aid in Development in Central and East Africa” will host a diverse panel of speakers including professors Ralph Byrns and Julius Nyang’oro the same day.

The University will hold 15 events total.

NAACP rally and march

The Chapel Hill-Carrboro branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People will rally Monday and march to reflect King’s pioneering spirit in social justice.

“We want to give people a platform to discuss their social justice platforms in honor of Dr. King,” chapter President Michelle Cotton Laws said.

The rally, which will begin at 9 a.m. in front of the downtown post office, will include speeches by the president of UNC’s chapter of the NAACP and spoken word performances. The march will end at First Baptist Church.

Benjamin Chavis will be the keynote speaker for the 11 a.m. service at the church. A long-time activist, he was one of the Wilmington 10 and a former president of the national NAACP. He was also the central figure in Timothy Tyson’s book “Blood Done Sign My Name,” Laws said.

“He reflects the legacy of Dr. King in his tenacity in social justice,” Laws said. “There have been many blows he has had to overcome.

“He has remained true to the face of justice, which is a never-ending fight.”

Documentary to honor MLK

Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, once called Airport Road, was rechristened on May 8, 2005 — the 45th anniversary of King’s visit to Chapel Hill. A documentary about the renaming ceremony will air on Chapel Hill TV 18 at noon and 7 p.m. Monday.

“The video is an overview of what was happening on that day, the ceremony and the procession to the Northside,” town spokeswoman Catherine Lazorko said.

The town of Chapel Hill financed the documentary, which was produced by the Peoples Channel, Chapel Hill’s public access channel.

Mini peace-making camp

The Carrboro ArtsCenter is offering its first holiday mini-camp for children to remember King’s message.

The all-day arts camp, held Monday, will have a peace-making theme inspired by King’s proclamations of peace and unity, said Shirlette Ammons, the children’s on-site arts manager.

“This is our first time trying it,” Ammons said. “We hope it works. We do mini-camps normally on teacher workdays.”

Three instructors will lead three-hour residencies on ceramics, Ghanaian drumming techniques and peace mandalas — patterns that are created in the shape of a circle and have spiritual and ritualistic meaning, Ammons said.

“On average we expect around 15 to 20 kids,” she said. “With kids having been out of school due to adverse weather, it took a hit on our marketing.”

The camp cost ranges from $50 to $85, includes snacks and supplies and is offered to children ages 5 to 11.