Head down, Hernandez all about results

Sophomore leads UNC men’s tennis team this year

4190_jose_erin_hullf.jpg
Jose Hernandez, a sophomore tennis player from the Dominican Republic

Jose Hernandez is ranked by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association as the preseason No. 30 singles player.

But the ITA doesn’t quite have the North Carolina sophomore’s attention.

“Rankings are not my priority,” Hernandez said. “If I do the right things, if I continue to improve, rankings will come anyway.”

Hernandez maintains a calm demeanor on the court, which he attributes to a notebook with positive quotes and phrases he keeps nearby.

He finished his freshman campaign with an 18-4 regular season record and said he is ready to become a leader for the Tar Heels in his sophomore year.

“He never takes a day off — his work ethic is the best I’ve seen,” said Joey Burkhardt, Hernandez’ doubles partner when the duo won the University of Virginia’s Doubles Championship in October. “He certainly leads by example.”

Hernandez, who serves as one of the team’s captains, said he welcomes the additional responsibility. His teammates have noticed a difference.

“He never talks about what he’s accomplished and is always looking to help others improve,” Burkhardt said.

Bebo

After a five-day stay at home in the Dominican Republic, Hernandez said his summer consisted of workouts to improve his volley and serve.

“You definitely have to sacrifice a little bit,” Hernandez said. “But I want to lead the team to a national championship so the work is worth it.”

Hernandez’s dedication surpasses that which his nickname suggests.
His mother gave him the nickname “Bebo,” which is Spanish slang for baby boy. She was his inspiration for picking up a racket at a young age.

Hernandez’s father, who attends almost every UNC home match, lends verbal support in Spanish when his son struggles.

Hernandez said he also appreciates students’ support and feels honored to represent the University.

“Having a scholarship is more than enough motivation to kick some ass,” Hernandez said.

Hernandez said his coach at Bridgeway Academy introduced him to UNC assistant coach Tripp Phillips.

“His talent sticks out, but anyone who spends much time with him will pick up on what an outstanding human being he is,” Phillips said.

“He has a tremendous desire to be successful in all areas of his life, that is contagious for the rest of the team.

“I feel very fortunate to get to coach him.”

Hernandez said Phillips convinced him to make an official visit to the campus, and he committed that day.

“Tennis gave me the opportunity to come to one of the best schools in the country,” Hernandez said. “There is no chance I would have even applied otherwise.”

2011 expectations

Hernandez said conference matches against rivals Duke and Virginia provide additional motivation as he and the Tar Heels kick off the spring portion of the schedule.

With last year’s match against Duke tied 3-3, Hernandez came within two points of winning his singles contest against Reid Carleton.

Suffering from severe cramps, Hernandez was forced by rain to move indoors. Hernandez could barely walk by the time play resumed and was unable to prevent Carleton from coming back and clinching the match for the Blue Devils.

“That match was so painful, I remember it like it was yesterday,” Hernandez said. “That memory is a great reason to play even better this year.”

Hernandez was named Atlantic Coast Conference Men’s Tennis Player of the Week earlier in January after winning the singles and doubles titles of the National Collegiate Tennis Classic in Rancho Mirage, Calif.

Hernandez has been ranked as high as No. 37 in the International Tennis Federation’s world junior rankings and has played in the Wimbledon Junior Championships, but refuses to focus on rankings or accomplishments.

“I don’t pressure myself based on seedings or rankings,” Hernandez said. “I only think about things I can control, such as my game and my attitude.”

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@dailytarheel.com.