Historic Theatre renovated

Groups take advantage of new space

The Historic Playmakers Theatre is hosting several upcoming performances by campus groups such as Pauper Players, CUAB and EROT.

Raised rental fees and incomplete facilities have not deterred campus groups from taking advantage of the recently renovated Historic Playmakers Theatre.

The theater will host a variety of performances from multiple campus groups now that renovations to the building are partially complete.

Michael Johnson, director of operations for the office of the executive director of the arts, said that the space will be used mainly by Pauper Players, Ebony Readers/Onyx Theatre, Carolina Union Activities Board and UNC Opera this semester.

Although more extensive renovations were originally intended, the University’s financial difficulties led the office of the executive director for the arts to open the space in November.

Complete renovations have been postponed indefinitely.

Sullivan said that the renovations to the theater will help bring a larger audience.

“The space now has such excellent energy,” Sullivan said. “The atmosphere of the theater should add some glamour to an upbeat show.”

But the theater’s age means the absence of a few conveniences — notably, bathrooms.

Because of budget constraints, the bathrooms located in the basement lobby are unusable. Patrons will be directed to a nearby building to use the bathroom.

Upcoming performances

Johnson said that despite such inconveniences, the shows will go on.

“I mean, it’s an old building,” he said. “But it’s still a great space.”

Pauper — the main tenants of the theater before its renovations began more than five years ago — will put on its spring production of “All Shook Up,” an Elvis Presley jukebox musical, in the beginning of April.

Pauper had planned to apply for a grant from the office of the executive director of the arts that would assist them in paying for the space, which is one of the more expensive campus venues. Instead, they are partnering with a group they would not name to fund the production.

“The new opportunity arose and it was a better fit for us,” said Elissa Rumer, executive business director for Pauper.

Also in April, UNC Opera—a class within the Department of Music —will produce Mozart’s “The Magic Flute” with limited orchestration.

“‘The Magic Flute’ is one of the quintessential operas performed all over the world,” said junior Lily Roberts, a UNC Opera performer.

In February, EROT is assisting in the production of “Kind of Blue,” a performance based on the music of Miles Davis.

The production will be written and directed by UNC students Kuamel Stewart and Jamila Reddy, respectively.

Thursday, the CUAB will present local band Hammer No More the Fingers in its first event of the semester.

“Historic Playmakers suits the size of our show almost perfectly,” said Kinsey Sullivan, music chairperson for CUAB. “We’re excited to be able to use the space.”

In addition to some student-produced shows, the theater will be used for a panel discussion with performance artist Marc Bamuthi Joseph.

The discussion will occur a few days before a performance of his “red black and GREEN: a blues” in Gerrard Hall on Saturday.

“The show is part of our Process Series, which is a collection of different performance pieces that are still in development,” said Mark Steffen, events manager for the executive director of the arts. “They’re not considered final works.”

Contact the Arts Editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.