Search goes on for next CHCCS leader

Neil Pedersen to retire after 17 years

A local school board will be one step closer to finding a new superintendent at a meeting tonight.

The North Carolina School Boards Association, the search firm hired to organize and manage the search, will report to the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board of Education at a meeting tonight concerning surveys completed by staff and community members about what they want to see in a new superintendent.

The surveys received an overwhelming response—more than 1,000 responses and 27 statements— school board vice chairwoman Mia Burroughs wrote via Twitter on Wednesday night.

The school board coordinated two public forums to hear resident thoughts about the search for the new superintendent, said district spokeswoman Stephanie Knott.

“The feedback has been pretty robust,” she said. “At the meeting we will get a sense of the number of people who attended the forums.”

Current superintendent Neil Pedersen announced his plans to retire in August and will leave the system at the end of the school year. His 17-year tenure makes him the longest-serving superintendent currently working in the state.

The school board plans to have a replacement selected by April 1 and has allotted $40,000 for the necessary costs, which includes advertising estimated to cost $2,000.

The superintendent selection process includes a nine-page application which is due by Jan. 31. The application is comprised of short answer and essay questions.

The board decided it would not require an educational background component for applicants, and the vacancy notice put forth by the board outlined several qualities a potential candidate must possess.

Qualities included strong leadership, interpersonal and communication skills. In addition, the interviewers are looking for commitment to children and public education.

“I would be open to a non-traditional candidate from the business sector,” said board of education member Annetta Streater. “I am looking for someone with high expectations for achievement in his students.”

Superintendent Pedersen has not had any involvement in the search, but he said he has found himself in several uncomfortable situations since announcing his retirement.

“The awkwardness is that there are more and more issues that come up that will affect the school next year,” Pedersen said. “I am in meetings where we are discussing those.”

The applications will be reviewed by board members during a closed session on Monday, Feb. 21 and may extend to a second meeting on Friday, Feb. 25.

Both meetings will be held in the Superintendent’s Conference Room of Lincoln Center from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

“It is important for that person to be willing to see all sides, and make sure all stakeholders are informed,” Streater said. “I am looking for someone who is willing to listen to all stakeholders.”

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.