Snow prompts officials to cancel classes today

Normal schedule to resume at 11 a.m.

In a rare move, the University canceled classes on the first day of the semester because of expected adverse weather conditions.

Despite a lack of snow accumulation, evening classes after 5 p.m. were canceled Monday and not scheduled to resume until 11 a.m. today.

Under Condition 2 of the University’s adverse weather response, offices were kept open and students and employees were encouraged to check the UNC website for updates throughout the day.

The University normally operates under Condition 1 and only closes offices under Condition 3, the highest response level.

In response to criticism of weather cancellations in January 2009, Chancellor Holden Thorp posted a blog outlining the guiding principles he uses regarding snow and ice decisions.

“We don’t cancel class lightly,” he wrote. “If we feel it is unsafe to walk on campus, if Chapel Hill Transit is not running, or we have evidence that the roads in are unsafe, then we’ll likely suspend class.”

Gov. Bev Perdue declared a state of emergency for all of North Carolina on Monday as the winter storm dumped snow around the state.

Beyond a few flurries, the Triangle has remained dry compared to other parts of the state. The National Weather Service has predicted that snow and icy conditions will continue into Tuesday.

N.C. State University and Meredith College in Raleigh both canceled classes Monday evening, while Duke University continued to operate on a regular schedule.

When making cancellation decisions, Thorp consults with Chief Jeff McCracken of the Department of Public Safety, the town of Chapel Hill and the University grounds department to ensure staff and students are able to commute to school safely.

Though Monday’s classes were canceled before evidence of icy conditions, Mike McFarland, director of university communications, said the cancelation was a necessary step to protect the safety of students.

“I’ve worked for the University for a while and I can’t remember class cancellation on the first day of class in the spring semester before,” McFarland said.

“It’s a rare occurrence.”

He said the registrar’s office reported that 171 evening classes were canceled, affecting more than 3,400 students.

More than 13,000 students are registered for the 450 classes that were canceled before 11 a.m., said Karla Townley-Tilson, general purpose classroom scheduling manager, in an e-mail.

The Student Union also canceled events and meetings slated to begin after 5 p.m. The Student Recreation Center and Rams Head Recreation Center closed three hours early, at 9 p.m.

They will reopen three hours later than usual today at 9 a.m.

Chapel Hill Transit was operating normally as of 7 p.m. Monday.

Several students said they were confused about the University announcing closings before snow fell — but were not upset.

Junior David Baron said he’s happy about the snow, but he’s ready to get the semester started.

“It’s not going to put a damper on anything,” he said. “I’ll have fun in the snow, but I’m going to my 2 o’clock class. I’m excited about beginning second semester.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.