1. The Love Language, Libraries

Where the local band’s debut crackled and hissed with heartache, Libraries is a smoother ride, gliding on BJ Burton’s smooth production and Stu McLamb’s seamless songwriting. It’s less chaotic, but beneath the glassy exterior, the album is rife with love gone sour, harrowing loneliness and the emptiness that comes after a romance fizzles out.

It’s not all heavy though — McLamb and company deliver many an earworm hook, especially on “Brittany’s Back,” which surges forward on tom-toms and insulting witticisms. Libraries is an exercise in the happy medium between infectious pop and honest catharsis. — Linnie Greene

2. Mandolin Orange, Quiet Little Room

There’s something to be said for looking to the past. Mandolin Orange demonstrates the benefits of doing just that. The pair writes songs that are steeped in backcountry bluegrass but well-versed in modern love, life and heartbreak. Tracks like “Wee Bird” highlight the group’s graceful, unadulterated songwriting. — Linnie Greene

3. Megafaun, Heretofore

There’s nothing miniature about Megafaun’s declared “mini-album”: Heretofore brings an expansive, experimental sound with the nearly 13-minute long “Comprovisation for Connor Pass.” Megafans that can’t handle the psychedelic, sometimes schizophrenic doodling will be pleased with more accessible folk rock songs like “Carolina Days” and “Volunteers.” — Joseph Chapman

4. Lost in the Trees, All Alone in an Empty House

This orchestral-based pop is breathtaking and heartbreaking at the same time. The band, led by classically trained musician Ari Picker, transcends genres and brings a fresh and polished sound to the Triangle music scene. — Joe Faile

5. Veelee, The Future Sight

Veelee is one of the newer acts on this list, but that doesn’t take away from the band’s credibility. This fall’s The Future Sight proved that the local outfit has plenty of songwriting chops, and Matt Park and Ginger Wagg have mastered the art of being a duo. The two exchange harmonies and instrumentation deftly. — Linnie Greene

6. Chatham County Line, Wildwood

It’s hard to talk about Chatham County Line without mentioning The Avett Brothers — the bands are friends after all. Wildwood doesn’t deliver the screamed folk punk characteristic of the Avetts, but rather a more polite brand of folk. — Joseph Chapman

7. Mount Moriah, The Letting Go

Heather McEntire isn’t your stereotypical woman with a guitar. In fact, the singer defies that image completely, belting out choruses that sizzle and writhe with undeniable intensity. Aided by Horseback’s Jenks Miller, Mount Moriah crafts visceral, arresting tracks that shine on The Letting Go. — Linnie Greene

8. Last Year’s Men, Sunny Down Snuff

These young guys are easily among the Triangle’s biggest rising stars. Last Year’s Men makes noisy, electric guitar-driven rock music on its debut Sunny Down Snuff, and on stage or on record, these boys are a hell of an experience. The raw, powerful energy on the band’s debut will keep you coming back for more. — Allison Hussey

9. Carolina Chocolate Drops, Genuine Negro Jig

Conjuring up traditional backcountry bluegrass, this album features some traditional African American songs with a 21st century sizzle. Their deep-fried take on Blu Cantrell’s vengeful “Hit ’Em Up Style” proves it ain’t your daddy’s bluegrass band. — Joe Faile

10. The Dirty Little Heaters, Champions of Imperfection

Champions of Imperfection celebrates the sloppiness and squalidness of rock ‘n’ roll. Vocalist Reese McHenry’s bellowing roar of a voice makes Janis Joplin sound like a prepubescent schoolgirl with coarse lyrics like “I still love you fucker.” — Joseph Chapman