1. Black Swan

There are plenty of things that could’ve earned this movie a No. 1 ranking —Natalie Portman’s excellent portrayal of a mentally-unstable ballerina; the shots that followed each dancer’s movement flawlessly, bouncing around as if the audience themselves were doing a pirouette.
But the real reason “Black Swan” has taken top place is because Darren Aronofsky has transformed a well-known ballet into a modern masterpiece, a gothic horror that captures mental insanity both grotesquely and gracefully. And that’s no small feat. — Linnie Greene

2. Inception

As visually enthralling as it is intellectually stimulating, “Inception” is one of the rare films of the year that can both please the palate of the masses and triumph the critics’ wrath. With this film, Christopher Nolan solidifies himself amongst the likes of Spielberg and Cameron as one of the top dollar directors in the industry. — Lam Chau

3. The Social Network

It has half-a-million “likes” on Facebook, and there are even more reasons to love it. Leaping back and forth through time to depict the creation of the Internet goliath, this ambitious film taps into the raw emotional underbelly of this generation’s social climate. With a pitch-perfect script, the film seduces viewers into a profound true story that brilliantly speaks to the modern socialite. — Rocco Giamatteo

4. Toy Story 3

I’m starting to think that the folks at Pixar just love to toy with our emotions. While this may not have been Pixar’s peak, it really hit home. And good lord, that one scene toward the end. You know the one. You teared up a bit too, admit it. — Allison Hussey

5. Winter’s Bone

Jennifer Lawrence’s Ree Dolly must hunt down her criminal father to prevent her family from losing its house to the bail bondsman amidst a desolate Ozark landscape populated by tweakers and feuding criminal families. Bitingly intense and vivid, “Winter’s Bone” is one of the most unforgettable films of the year. — Mark Niegelsky

6. True Grit

Check out Dive’s review of “True Grit” on page 6, where Jonathan Pattishall explores the Coen brothers’ re-imagining of a novel turned John Wayne film.

7. The King’s Speech

“The King’s Speech” is the divine rendering of performance in its ability to give new and resonating life to the true story of King George VI. Between Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter and the outstanding performance from Colin Firth, the film tackles a hidden story heroically and passionately. Firth shines in his power to master the fine line between royal and underdog which is balanced by the eclectic and honest Rush, all the while remaining enjoyable. — Rachel Arnett

8. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

If there ever were a character Michael Cera could play, surely it would be the geeky, accidental lady-killer found in Brian O’Malley’s graphic novel series, Scott Pilgrim. Straight out of the comic books, Torontonian Scott Pilgrim battles the seven evil exes of the exotic American, Ramona Flowers, in an effort to win her over. Bill Pope’s cinematic oversight is blatant — The Matrix Trilogy alumnus brings the same level of adrenaline-packed action in the absurd fight scenes. — _ Joseph Chapman_

9. 127 Hours

Lam Chau reviews “127 Hours” in full on page 6, where he looks at the harrowing realism and artful acting that earned this film a place on Dive’s end of year list.

10. Inside Job

How entertaining could a documentary on the financial crisis of 2008 be, you ask? With a few panels’ worth of incisive policy critics, a shooting gallery of close advisors to Bush and Obama in the hot seat, and Matt Damon narrating the brawl, the answer is: pretty damn entertaining. — Jonathan Pattishall