Town Council to alter Comprehensive Plan

Will also create ombuds program

On the eve of President Barack Obama’s State of the Union address, Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt opened Monday night’s Chapel Hill Town Council meeting with an address of his own.

“Chapel Hill faces many challenging, difficult decisions,” Kleinschmidt said in his State of the Town speech.

Despite the tough economic climate, Kleinschmidt said that Chapel Hill has not been as affected as other areas and still has relatively low unemployment.

He also mentioned Chapel Hill’s accomplishments during the previous year, which include passing a $90 million budget.

“We are immune to the challenges faced by other communities,” he said.

Kleinschmidt also said the town has remained a leader in public transportation and protecting the environment.

“We are a town in a forest after all,” he said.

While he said he expected disagreements in the upcoming year, council members were in accord on updating the town’s Comprehensive Plan.

The plan, which planning board Chairman Mike Collins said has not been updated since May 2000, includes goals like creating affordable housing opportunities and establishing a balanced transportation system.

Council members Donna Bell, Penny Rich and Gene Pease all supported the update.

“Revisiting the Comprehensive Plan is both exciting and terrible,” Bell said.

Council members also decided to approve a community policing advisory committee, which would serve as a confidential, independent and informal dispute resource to resolve disputes between residents and the town — an ombuds program.

Town Manager Roger Stancil said the ombuds service would provide a safe place to voice concerns to police.

Council member Bell said the committee would be there not just to advise but also advocate for residents.

“I’m really very excited about this process,” she said. “This program provides an open door.”

When exploring the idea of an ombuds program, the council looked no further than UNC’s own ombuds program, created by Wayne Blair.

Supporters of Clyde Clark and Kerry Bigelow, two former sanitation workers who were fired in October, were present at the meeting — as they have been with almost every meeting since the two were dismissed.

The council members approved unanimously an all-way stop control on Ironwoods Drive, which Kleinschmidt admitted affected him personally.

“Full disclosure, that’s right next to my house,” he said.

There was also an eight-to-one vote to install on-street pay stations, with council member Laurin Easthom being the only member not in agreement with it.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea right now,” she said.

All council members agreed that on-street parking fees should not be increased.

The council decided to move forward on the Rogers Road Small Area Plan, scheduling a fall 2011 joint public hearing, and also called a public forum on Feb. 28 to receive public comment on potential amendments to the town code and land use management ordinance to permit food trucks, with restrictions.

Contact the City Editor at city@dailytarheel.com.