UNC gets grant from NFL to study concussions

Kevin Guskiewicz shows students the padding in a football helmet. The Center for the Study of Retired Athletes recieved a $100,000 grant from the National Football League to research concussions.

Some new funding will make it easier for members of a UNC research organization to put their heads together — to reduce head injuries.

The Center for the Study of Retired Athletes recently received a $100,000 grant from the National Football League to research the long-term effects of concussions.

The center’s grant was matched by the NFL Players Association this year, putting the total funding at $200,000, said Kevin Guskiewicz, chairman of the Department of Exercise and Sport Science and principal investigator of the project.

Guskiewicz, who is a member of the NFL Head, Neck and Spine Committee, said the goal of this research will be to build a distinct database identifying what the added exposure to head injuries of NFL players is compared to former college players.

He added that the NFL hadn’t always been supportive of his research.

“For a number of years the NFL has been critical of our work at UNC because they felt that we were painting an ugly picture of football and we were trying to convince them that our main goal is to improve safety in the sport,” he said.

This season, the NFL began to more aggressively take action against head-to-head tackles out of concern for players’ mental health. Several players received fines for such hits.

Judith Cone, special assistant to the chancellor for innovation and entrepreneurship, praised the research for its innovative spirit.

“Here’s research that proves that this is an important thing,” she said.

“And now [the research] is saving lives.”

Amy Matthews, center coordinator for the center, said the money will be used to explore the association between football exposure and dementia in retired football players. The study will bring 16 retired NFL players and 16 former college-only players to campus in February.

She said the organization has been researching the topic since 2001. Since 2005, the Center has been able to study over 100 NFL players on campus, Matthews said.

Guskiewicz emphasized the importance of the study in improving physical treatment of all athletes.
“It’s the greatest game on earth,” he said.

“But I’m concerned about the safety of the sport.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.