UNC Residence Hall Association presidential race uncontested for seventh time

Peng seeking to increase visibility

The post of the Residence Hall Association president hasn’t been contested in seven years.

And this year is no different.

Sophomore Hans Peng, the community governor for Cobb Residence Hall, said he will bring a commitment to increasing the organization’s visibility to his almost-guaranteed presidency. As the lone confirmed candidate, Peng can only lose to a write-in candidate.

“I feel like a lot of people don’t know what RHA stands for,” Peng said.

The RHA is one of the University’s largest student organizations, overseeing about 10,000 students and acting as a representative body for on-campus residents’ concerns.

He said the organization has worked to increase its own visibility over the past two years — and that he would continue these efforts.

Peng’s platform also includes strengthening the ties between RHA and ResNET, which could make strides in bringing Netflix to campus.

Current RHA president Ryan Collins said Peng is friendly, open and has experience in the organization.

“He gets along with people well,” he said, adding that Netflix will provide a “cheaper way to keep current movies available in residence halls.”

RHA is not just about its programs or enhancements, but also acts to represent and cater to students’ needs, Collins said.

“We’re here to serve them,” he said.

At the beginning of every year the president outlines goals to accomplish during his or her term, Collins said.

“I’m responsible for maintaining that agenda throughout the year and making sure we’re achieving what we set out to achieve,” he said.

Collins said he identified Peng as a potential candidate for RHA president in December and discussed the central elements of the position with him. The two have met two more times since then, Collins said, to fine-tune his goals.

Junior McKinney Brown had declared his candidacy for the position but dropped out about a week into the campaign. He said he wanted to participate in Ian Lee’s campaign for student body president, which represents a large time commitment.

He also cited broader concerns about taking on the position.

“This isn’t for me,” Brown said.

But he said he has heard good things about Peng.

“From what I hear he’s a great guy,” he said.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.