Union gallery shows Cat’s Cradle posters

4063_cats_union_melissa_abbeyf.jpg
The Student Union's latest gallery display features poster advertisements for Cat's Cradle over the years, created by local artist and musician Ron Liberti. Liberti is a Chapel Hill resident and has been providing graphic art for Cat's Cradle for over 15 years. His work has been featured in about 30 art shows and numerous publications. These posters are available for $20.

Amplifying the quiet corridor of the gallery in the Student Union is a line of distinctive vintage-style posters, advertising a diverse line-up of past Cat’s Cradle concerts.

Ron Liberti, a local musician and artist, has been creating unique posters for the popular Carrboro venue for more than a decade.

Liberti said each band’s music inspires his creative process.

“I try to make it feel like the band sounds,” Liberti said.

Although a love of music sparked his initial exploration of art, Liberti finds inspiration working in both mediums.

“I’ve always had the same size place in my heart for them,” he said.

While in college, Liberti created a poster advertising one of his band’s shows. His art caught on with other bands needing publicity.

When Cat’s Cradle owner Frank Heath saw Liberti’s posters more than a decade ago, he immediately recognized their ability to connect with local artists and music lovers alike.

Heath said that bands appreciate Liberti’s interpretation of their music.

“The work he does is really helpful in bringing people together,” Heath said. “It’s a part of the show that people can talk about afterwards, long after they’ve forgotten what songs were played.”

Liberti makes most of his posters by hand, using techniques as old as rock ’n’ roll itself — screen prints, hand-drawn images, collages and mixed media.

Heath said that Liberti’s precise vintage technique, coupled with his ability to consolidate a band’s sound into a single page, have made him a staple in the local art scene.

Sophomore Tory Whitson said that she was immediately drawn to the posters as she walked through the gallery.

“It’s definitely different than what’s been in here before,” she said. “I like it because I’m a huge music fanatic.”

Whitson has attended several shows at Cat’s Cradle and said that she is happy about the Union’s decision to display posters from the local hot spot.

“I’m glad that students are looking at something that is typically considered commercial in a new way,” Tyler Mills, president of the Carolina Union Activities Board, said.

While his posters have been featured in 10 publications and more than 30 art shows, Liberti said that he remains committed to sharing his work with the community.

“He does all this cool work and he doesn’t charge people an arm and a leg for it,” Heath said. “He is a very important part of the genesis of the local music community here.”

Contact the Arts Editor at arts@dailytarheel.com