Barbara Entwisle makes pitch for vice chancellor for research

4833_research_katie_barnesf.jpg
Finalist for Vice Chancellor of Research, Barbara Entwisle, spoke Tuesday afternoon in the Famil Pleasants Assembly Room in Wilson library. This was one of three similar meetings with finalists. Entwisle is currently the interum Vice Chancellor and was previously a Professor of Sociology at UNC. Her recurring theme centers around focusing on "what we can acheive when we are all working together."

An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated the number of years Barbara Entwisle has worked at UNC. The story has been edited to reflect the changes.

Barbara Entwisle, one of three finalists in the University’s search for a vice chancellor for research, said she wants to see students and faculty propel the University to a level of research prowess consistent with its mission.

“We should be ‘the’ public university,” she said.

“Unlike private institutions, we have an explicit role to play to the state that supports us.”

Entwisle, director of the Carolina Population Center and interim vice chancellor for research, presented her vision for research during a public forum Wednesday.

Entwisle said her goal is to see the University be a leader in the creation and application of knowledge in order to serve citizens on a state, national and global level.

She emphasized challenges that are unique to the University.

“We can’t buy our faculty in the same way a well-endowed private university can,” she said.

“But that doesn’t mean we can’t be great. It doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t be great.”

She added that interdisciplinary research and greater student involvement are essential for reaching that goal.

“Working across disciplines is the way to solve the world’s problems,” she said. “It is a source of innovation and a competitive advantage.”

“(Students) inspire faculty,” she added. “They also engage faculty, they collaborate with faculty, they attract faculty and they help retain faculty.”

Karen Gil, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and chairwoman of the vice chancellor for research search committee, said Entwisle exhibits the qualities the committee is looking for in its candidates.

“Barbara has breadth and depth of experience in research administration,” she said.

If selected, Entwisle would become one of a handful of internal candidates to receive promotions at UNC recently.

Jonathan Sauls was selected to become dean of students earlier this month after serving on an interim basis since July 1.

Bruce Carney, executive vice chancellor and provost, was selected for his position in March 2010 after serving on an interim basis.
Winston Crisp, vice chancellor for student affairs, was selected for his current job after previously working as associate vice chancellor for student affairs.

Entwisle has worked at the University for 26 years, having won several awards, including the UNC Distinguished Teaching Award for Post-Baccalaureate Instruction in 2003.

Entwisle said the extent of her experience is one of the main reasons she wants to take up the position.

“I have accomplished everything I have set out to do,” she said. “I am looking for new challenges.”

Jo Anne Earp, professor and chairwoman of health behavior and health education at the Gillings School of Global Public Health, said Entwisle’s speech at the public forum helped affirm her place as a strong contender.

“Her speech was very strong and well thought-out,” Earp said. “She has a leg up because she’s in a position to know what’s needed.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.